What 1st Stage should I Use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Riverrat Dave

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am ordering one of the new OTS fullface mask but need some input...
What first stage regulator is recommended for this.
The OTS mask comes with it's own 2nd stage.
I am requesting the to tap the Scubaboard knowledge base...
ok let's have it...:popcorn:

I know OTS sells several FFM's but to my knowledge does not make their own FFM.

If it has an attached second stage, I am assuming you are ordering an Interspiro (AGA) FFM. Just about any balanced first stage will work fine. However, I'd recommend one with a sealed ambient chamber like the Scubapro Mk 17, as a freeze flow in an AGA where you cannot readily switch to an alternate air source without also switching to a back up mask is not much fun.

Another advantage of the Mk 17 is that you can easily adjust the intermediate pressure to match the second stage - which may be easier than adjusting the second stage to match the IP of the first if you do not have an AGA familiar tech handy.

If you get an AGA, I'd recommend the non positive pressure version as it is a lot easier on air and there is no advantage to having a positive pressure FFM in sport or technical diving situations. The weight kit is also nice to have with an AGA as well as it neutralizes the positive bouyancy of the mask.

The OTS FFM was introduced at DEMA,
it's very, very similar to the AGA but is supposed to be designed for sport diving.
I'm not very technically versed with the different types of 1st stages available.
Would a APEKS 200 1st stage work?

I use a Poseidon first stage with my AGAs. The high volume, easy to remove and replace coldwater cap and easy to adjust IP made it ideal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom