Reg Setup - Can I DIY?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkatchalov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, here's the deal.

I ordered my reg setup from LP (Apeks ATX50, Cressi Octo, OMS "brass'n'glass" SPG).

Can I put the whole thing together myself - i.e. screw all the hoses into the first stage, etc? Or should I give it to my LDS to do?

Is there anything special that I need to know and do I run the risk of killing myself if I DIY the setup?

Tools arent an issue - having seen the divers toolkits out there they seem like fairly standard toolkits. I should have everything that is required.

What does everyone think? Has anyone done the reg setup themselves before?

Thanks.

Good question-

Im glad you want to figure this out, I think more divers should be able to set up a reg and change hoses on their own.

But setting up a new reg, especially from LP is another issue. Sure you can hook all the hoses up but that is just a small part of a new reg set up. The IP needs to be checked at multiple pressures and possibly adjusted. The 2nd stage also needs to be checked for cracking pressure and most likely adjusted.

When I get a new reg at our shop typically the fist step is to break the reg down and confirm that the orings are lubed and every thing else is in proper working order
By buying from a online retailer you have no way of knowing if every thing is in working order.

I recomend getting it set up by a pro with the proper tools.

If you want to set it up, I.E. play with cool new toys this is how you would do it.

1st if your diving nitrox youll need to get o2 compatible lube, if not silicone lube will work. You can get the lube at your shop or online.

2nd figure out how you would like your hoses routed, play around with the bc, dry sut, pressure guage, and octo. The only real standard is your primary air source coming over your right shoulder, but besides that its up to you.

3rd, pull the port plugs out of the first stage, (save these )

4rth, apply a small amount of lube to the orings on your hoses, just a dab

5th, finger tighted your hoses and use a wrench to tighted a little more, not much

6th,hook it up and check for leaks, cycle the reg about 20 times and ensure no air is leaking, if air is leaking from your sencond stage or octo then it gets much more complicated and requires special tools.

pm me if you have more questions
JUMBO

...and your local dive shop might not be too happy to adjust all that new stuff you didn't buy from them. Be prepared to get treated like you committed some kind of crime.

Personally, if you're just doing recreational diving, I'd just screw in the hoses and go diving.

The SPG will work with the Apex reg and the 7/16th HP hose is the only one that will fit in the 7/16th HP port. Pretty much a no brainer.

The Cressi octo should work as most octos are adjusted to run at fairly high IP's. As long as it does not freeflow, breathe excessively hard or require you to depress the purge button farther than normal to initiate a freeflow (a very serious problem as it limits the working range and flow rate of the second stage), it should be fine. If it does any of the above, it needs to be adjusted whihc menas more tools or a trip to the LDS - which will not be impressed that you bought on line. Be prepared to get charged more than the servce is worth and don't be too surprised if they refuse to service it if they do not sell Apex, Cressi, etc.

Otherwise as indicated in the post above, lubricate the o-rings and be careful not to over tighted the hoses. You want them just snug them just enough to not accidently come unscrewed in use. The o-ring does the sealing, not the tight connection and exessively tight will stretch the brass fitting and potentially cause a failure. How much past hand tight is a good question and depends on how much the o-ring compresses. It is more of a feeling than anything else, but more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn is probably way too much.

Personally, if you're just doing recreational diving, I'd just screw in the hoses and go diving.

I agree, you can't really go wrong. The LP and HP ports are different sizes and are marked anyway so its impossible to confuse them. The Apeks 1st & 2nd stage come as a set so should already be set up and not need any IP adjustment. Octo and LP inflator can go on any of the spare LP ports. SOME 1st stages have a special "hi-flow" LP port designated for the primary 2nd stage, but I've never noticed any difference, they all meet in the same place (inside the 1st stage).

Experiment with mounting the 1st stage "upside down" for a lower profile (less likely to hit your head). This is exactly what I did with mine, so the primary 2nd stage had to be swapped to the port on the other side so that it was still on my right. My small SPG then ends up over my left shoulder along with the LP inflator hose and gets clipped off.

Just make sure you don't damage any O-rings when you screw the hoses in, and do them up tight enough, but not too tight. Get your spanners and allen keys out and find what works best for you!

The SPG will work with the Apex reg and the 7/16th HP hose is the only one that will fit in the 7/16th HP port. Pretty much a no brainer.

The Cressi octo should work as most octos are adjusted to run at fairly high IP's. As long as it does not freeflow, breathe excessively hard or require you to depress the purge button farther than normal to initiate a freeflow (a very serious problem as it limits the working range and flow rate of the second stage), it should be fine. If it does any of the above, it needs to be adjusted whihc menas more tools or a trip to the LDS - which will not be impressed that you bought on line. Be prepared to get charged more than the servce is worth and don't be too surprised if they refuse to service it if they do not sell Apex, Cressi, etc.

Otherwise as indicated in the post above, lubricate the o-rings and be careful not to over tighted the hoses. You want them just snug them just enough to not accidently come unscrewed in use. The o-ring does the sealing, not the tight connection and exessively tight will stretch the brass fitting and potentially cause a failure. How much past hand tight is a good question and depends on how much the o-ring compresses. It is more of a feeling than anything else, but more than 1/8 to 1/4 of a turn is probably way too much.

^Yeah, what he said, he beat me to it.

I don't get the whole "LDS won't be happy you didn't buy it off them" thing. Where I'm from, if your gear needs servicing, you take it in. Noone would ever even ASK where it came from, let alone care. They make more money servicing than they would have on the sale anyway. Plus, people move house, and travel. One of my LDS where I get my fills and have bought SOME gear (not regs or BCD) even checked out a 2nd had reg I bought off ebay, for free. I guess everyone is different, or I'm just lucky.

...and your local dive shop might not be too happy to adjust all that new stuff you didn't buy from them. Be prepared to get treated like you committed some kind of crime.

Rick, that is EXACTLY why I asked my original question.

I told my LDS I bought bp/w, and other accessories online. You should have seen their expression. Their reaction made me feel as if I told my fiance I'm sleeping with other women.

Hence I am reluctant to involve them in assembling my new reg setup. Plus there is the cost.

The posts in this thread are very informative and I will go through them in detail when I get my order and see if I feel I can do it. If not, I'll bite the bullet and give it to the LDS.

Rick, that is EXACTLY why I asked my original question.

I told my LDS I bought bp/w, and other accessories online. You should have seen their expression. Their reaction made me feel as if I told my fiance I'm sleeping with other women.

Hence I am reluctant to involve them in assembling my new reg setup. Plus there is the cost.

The posts in this thread are very informative and I will go through them in detail when I get my order and see if I feel I can do it. If not, I'll bite the bullet and give it to the LDS.

Some LDSs will charge exorbitant prices for such assembly of gear bought elsewhere. If you can't handle it (it is easy) I suggest you go to an LDS that doesn't think you have "cheated" on them and settle on a price up front. $20 would be reasonable.

dkatchalov

I don't know a lot about LP, but I did buy a mask from them once. I bought a regular mask plus an extra set of 'off-the-rack' optically corrected lenses.

To my surprise, they called me the next day and asked me if I wanted them to install the lenses into the mask.

Which begs the question: will they offer to set up / check out your gear before they ship it? I have no idea about what capabilities they have. Or how competent they are. If you are concerned after reading the other comments, why not call LP. Judging from the time that you made your original post, I'd guess LP has not shipped the order yet. You probably have time to call and ask.

Beachnik

dkatchalov

I don't know a lot about LP, but I did buy a mask from them once. I bought a regular mask plus an extra set of 'off-the-rack' optically corrected lenses.

To my surprise, they called me the next day and asked me if I wanted them to install the lenses into the mask.

Which begs the question: will they offer to set up / check out your gear before they ship it? I have no idea about what capabilities they have. Or how competent they are. If you are concerned after reading the other comments, why not call LP. Judging from the time that you made your original post, I'd guess LP has not shipped the order yet. You probably have time to call and ask.

Beachnik

Thanks that's a great idea, I didn't know they offered this service! Will email and ask them.

Back
Top Bottom