Reel or float line?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tailchaser

Contributor
Reaction score
I was wondering if I am targeting bigger game, yellow tail, white seabass... Can I get away with not having a reel or float line if I am on scuba with plenty of air?

Tailchaser,

Yes it can be done. Although as Sam says it does not happen very often. Particularly with WSB they are pretty sensitive to noise and vibrations. Yellow Tail on the other hand are inherently curious when not in the eating / hunting mode. I would exercise caution though. Should you be luck enough to land a fish 35lbs or larger, they can be quite strong and have the capacity to pull you through the water column. While breath holding this is not terribly dangerous, assuming you have enough air. However on scuba you have to worry about ascending to quickly. If you don't have a reel to let it run, then what is your alternative? Let it go I guess.

Sam, I have seen it. I used to captain the Vision (live aboard dive boat in Santa Barbara) and one of our customers was doing a safety stop on the anchor line at about 15' at the E. end of Santa Cruz Island. He was schooled by a group of YT and got lucky with his JBL 38 special. Landed a cookie cutter 10lbs YT. They must have come in pretty close, lol.

Best,

Thanks for the input Zak... I think I will be adding a reel to my gun. You know I dont expect to see wsb, or YT's all that often but I do every no and then so I want to be ready!
Sam we were bug hunting last weekend and had 2 WSB swim within range... Now had I had my gun I had a shot! So it does happen every so often.

Tailchaser,
Good for you and your buddy, there are divers who dive their entire life with out seeing a game fish. You are a lucky diver.

It is well to be prepared when an unsuspecting fish swims into range therefore the reel is probably the best for you because of simplicity packing and of deployment in the profuse California kelp and marine growth. There are a number of reels avaliable, just about any one will do. I have always leaned towards the JBL, which I highly modified prior to use. I would suggest that you contact Andy in SB for guidance.

I do not like the Mexican rigging used with most with reels. I have modified my reel guns so at the bitter end I have several options, hold on to the line, clip off a float or clip off the gun with a float. Yes in days past I have lost a few guns to fish..

Your leader has my address --in case you venture north drop in we can talk guns and rigging..

sdm

If you have the need to upgrade i would rig-up a float line rather than a reel for open water. I have a problem been attached to it after the shot and loosing the gun in the process but there are many other factor that should be looked at even if you're with scuba.

Spearo

Read my post.......

Modify the reel and gun so it does not rely on a Meican rigging...

There are a number of ways this can be accomplished; I listed three. There are many many more.

sdm

Hi Sam,

You are right , I don't like the Mexican rigging just their tacos, LOL

I understand your options and since I never hunted in the kelp I can't say but .. I have never lost a gun since I started freediving back in the early 60s using the "Cuban" rigging but I can't say the same for a few of my shafts. LOL

I personally like it simple and I'm not going to trade/loose my gun for a fish, (they're like my kids) several have been on the job since late 60's

Look...it all comes down to the enviroment you're in. Here in the East and offshore if you "hold to the line" it will come to an end and then what, Fight it?
"Clip off the gun with a floatline" Not my guns, too expensive, I love them. LOL
"Clip off line with a float" mybe if your're freediving, a good way to loose your fish, spear and line.

Simple: Floatline, spear and the fish at the other end. Go topside after the shot (hogging your "floating stick") and follow the marker from the safety of your boat and retrive what is left of it soon after. Beer anyone?

Back
Top Bottom