Strange Eye Phenomenon...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MSDT Mark

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have noticed a strange phenomenon when I photograph divers. As you can see in this photo of my son it appears that he has the lazy eye look. He doesn’t have this look normally. Most all divers I have photographed look this way. But only in their dive photos please explain…

Perplexed Photographer…

Attachments

• Jeremy Gilboa.jpg
    Jeremy Gilboa.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 200
Maybe it's because of the mask - when it's quite tight on your face, it might push together the skin from the sides and down from the forehead. This might lower your eyebrows and lids giving you this lazy eye look...??

Gaby

What focal length were you using? I think the phenomena shows up in most shots were you use a wide angle lens and are very close to the subject.

Jim Church in his "Essential Guide to Composition" observes
If the diver is looking at something close to their face they tend to look cross-eyed. A few divers can focus their eyes past the near object, but most can't. In this case, my favorite technique is to compose the shot so one of the model's eyes is hidden".

You could try briefing your model/buddy to look through or past you when you take a closeup shot.

Yes! Digging up a 6 year old thread, I saw the same thing! I'm very frustrated... and my models aren't really that close to the camera (But it was a fisheye lens). I assume it's the light being bent by the fact that there's no water inside the mask, but still - very frustrating. Especially since I don't see this effect in magazine photos. Photoshop?

A.

I have a lazy eye, maybe it would look straight in a photo. Will have to try. It could go either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom