Ports for SeaTool housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mel.B

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

I thought I read in another thread somewhere that there are port adapters availble that you can use with the SeaTool housing? Can any confirm or deny this for me? If so, it means I might be able to get a port for my Sigma 17-70 (the only lens I currently have).

Thanks,
Mel.b

The port adapters are available (I got a price on a Subal adapter from Reef Photo & Video) but you may not be able to zoom the lens if you use one. On the Seatool 400D housing the zoom/focus control is built into the ports and not the housing. If the port from another manufacturer does not have a knob for focus/zoom built in you will not be able to zoom the 17-70 with the Seatool 400D housing. I believe that in the upcoming 200D and 40D Seatool housings this will different as the zoom/focus knob will be built into the housing.

Thanks Gudge...so basically I need to look for a port that has the focus/zoom on the port?

Thanks Gudge...so basically I need to look for a port that has the focus/zoom on the port?
Yes, but I don't which brands you should be looking at. It definitely isn't Subal. However, Ryan did say that Reef Photo and Video were looking at modifying a Subal extension ring to have a zoom/focus ring. If they do that I'll definitely be getting one for my wife Mary so that she can use my Sigma 17-70 and Subal dome port with her Seatool housing. It should be a much cheaper option than buying a Seatool dome/extension for her housing.

Looks like the Acquatica dome might work as you can get an extension focus/zoom ring for the 17-70.

Let me know how you get on, I'm definitely interested in getting a dome setup for Mary's camera so she can use my 17-70.

Have a look at the Wetpixel DEMA report it has a few photos of the Seatool 400D housing sporting a Subal dome port:

DEMA 2007: Fisheye and SeaTool :: Wetpixel.com

Seatool offers port adapters for just about every port system out there.
So Aquatica is looking good.

Back
Top Bottom