What suit/combination for 65 degree H2O?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattiedread

Reaction score
I posted this under exposure suits, but thought I would go with greater volume for hopefully some more opinions. I'm Going to the Galapagos in two weeks where the water temp is going to be 65 (surface, as cold as 57 at depth, so I am told).

As my ancient wet suit officially died on my last dive in Cozumel (zipper went, but it had tears all over, beyond fixing point), I was doing some wetsuit research. Now, I ended buying a 5mil Henderson "gold" jumper for both my wife and I (definately the easiest wet suit I have ever gotten into/out of.. even a size too small)... But, for this trip, I think my wife may need a little extra neoprene (I have a 3mil shorty I can throw on top).

Any suggestions? Has anyone been there who could tell me what everyone was wearing and what the water temp was? Does anyone have suggestions who regulary dives 55-65 degree water? I've read all the posts that I could find that are applicable, but I'm still curious as this temp range seems to a 'cusp' where some go five mil jumps others go farmer John... How thick should I pack? Should I pick my wife up a shorty or a hooded vest? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt

I'm not a cold water diver by habit (most of them wouldn't call that cold) but I was more than a little chilled with a 2piece 5mil jacket and john at 54 degrees. That was for the certification dives. I'd say that that's the absolute least you'd want to wear for a decent dive. I'd probably suggest a 6.5 or 7mil semi dry.

BTW I am horribly jealous. I'd give a lot for a trip to the Galapagos...

Hi Mattie,

Water here in New England currently is about 60F on the surface. I experienced 48F at depth below the thermocline. I wear a 7mm Bare john/jacket -- very comfortable in water from 55-60+. A one piece 7mm might give you better mobility (or perhaps just add a vest to this). Bottom line, for water in the 50s, I would recommend 7mm.

Have a great trip.

As I have purchased the 5mm Hendersons (yesterday, $246 + tax), I'm looking for a 'supplemental' recommendation. I have a shorty and a hood (5mm)... will that suffice? I guess I could head out to Long Island this weekend and take a dive... it is rather late for the water temp to be 60 in NE.. how far north?

Has anyone dove with the Hendersons? I've heard great things about them, wamrth wise. Are they considered 'semi-dry'? (The fit is the best I have ever had in a wetsuit).
Thanks,
Matt

I grew up in Long Island, and although I've seen the water get as warm 75 (once) it typically tops out 70-72 sometime between the end of August and end of September... sometimes the north winds (off shore, for the South Shore) start blowing early. 68 degree water fails my 'sac test' and I need a suit to go body surfing.

54 degrees?
For me, that's drysuit water.
Rick

I'd have loved to have had the choice. It was just a basic OW class. The instructor was diving dry. Just the rest of us had to tough it out. I won't be doing much Texas lake diving in late November again any time soon! :cold:

One of the local shops around here says they train their OW students with drysuits. Last time I was at the Breakwater in Monterey, there seemed to be a number of classes in drysuits. I still dive wet and am warm enough, but perhaps more restricted, in a 6.5 steamer/jacket slick-skin-in (plus hood, gloves of course), in low-mid 50s water. Last time in was 57F water, and I was a bit hot. My suit's custom, so it's definitely a close fit, but there's really no such thing as a semi-dry -- you're either dry, or wet, and with a wetsuit, given the zipper, esp at the collar closure, you'll always be wet, well, very damp, at least.

One thing's for sure though: clunking around with all the neoprene, weight and equipment feels so awkward, esp with a beach entry, but then, once you're floating (or underwater), it's like you're wearing nothing at all.

-Simon

Hey - what's up with allt he arguing - jus put your spedo's on and get in - if you can't feel anything within 5 seconds you need a drysuit!

Dane
(Yes, I'm a very good mood today - 2 full tanks and a LOT of water!!!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom