Atomic Z2 or ? Dilemma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bradsab

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm a relatively new diver looking for a reg. I didn't think it practical to buy my own gear because I only get to dive during vacations, probably never more than two a year. But in twenty four dives, I've rented four bad regs. My very first ocean dive there was a leak in the mouthpiece connection, and if I didn't hold the reg just right I sucked water every breath, sometimes a lot of water. I was too stupid/inexperienced to use the octo. The other three times, I got a hard breather. I'm mildly asthmatic (nothing I have to medicate), and the worst time it triggered a full blown attack and I thought I was gonna die. It was terrifying. Each time, the dive shop swapped regs and the rest of the trip was good, but I decided to get my own so I know what to expect.

Obviously, the first thing I want is an easy breather, possibly with an adjustable 2nd stage. I've never used an adjustable reg, and I'm wondering if you think that would help. I've spent countless hours here on the board, and the regulator that tweaks my interest the most is the Atomic Z2.

Here's my dilemma. I live in a rural area halfway between two cities with five LDS's, about thirty miles to any one of them. None of them sell Atomic. The closest Atomic dealer is more than two hours away. Is it realistic to ship a reg for service? I buy a lot of equipment for my business, and I've always found if you buy quality stuff, service is less of a factor because you don't need it very often. If I could find a reliable place to ship the reg to for its regular service, I'm inclined to take my chances for something that might come up. Most likely any emergency repairs would be needed during a vacation, and hopefully there would be an Atomic dealer nearby. If not, I'd have to rent a reg to finish my dives, and ship the thing when I got home.

Does this sound like a dumb idea? If it does, nothing else really stood out to me, and it gets downright confusing. Everybody recommends the reg they are using, and there doesn't seem to be a truly independent testing source out there. The LDS's around here all sell Aqua Lung and Sherwood, some sell Mares and one sells Scuba Pro.

Again, the main thing I'm looking for is an easy breather. The Z2 pushes the limits of my budget, especially with the swivel, but is seems like a good value. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I've got some time; my next trip is in March.

I am a fan of the Z2. Although I have not had the opportunity to dive a lot of regs. Every time I have tried another, I always wanted to go back to the Z2. Also, they only need servicing every two years. That having been said, there are many on this board who have rightfully said that you should have a reg that can get easily serviced, wherever you are.

bradsab: Tough decision. I'm partial to Atomics, I dive a M1 and a Z2. Great breathing regs, I really like the mouthpiece and have never had jaw fatigue, even on 3 dive days.

But, I also like having a local shop that can work on my regs.

If you are really sold on the Atomics, give the guys at Scubatoys a call. You should be able to simply ship the reg back there for servicing.

Good luck.

Bjorn

P.S.: If you are really on a budget, I have a Salvo reg that I bought for a 40 cf bottle but am now turning into a reg for a singles rig. Great breathing, without all the fancy "extras". I think it would make a fine first reg. As would many of the regs that are available at your local shops.

I think I understand your issues there. I’m an Atomic person (with the B2 and swivel) and consider it the best piece of equipment I’ve got. Recently I came near to calling a Manta Dive vs borrowing another regulator that’s how much (problem wasn’t the Atomic).
I don’t use the adjustable much – but that could be my diving and location factor. I don’t get free flows nor notice difficulty with depth and frankly have no ideal where it’s set, the sucker just plain works great wherever I left it months ago LOL and I forget it’s there.
But with that said, there is the problem of location with no Atomic service. However if you’re not diving often it seems sending it away every 2 years may not be that bad and I’d look at ScubaToys.
I’m not a travel diver but did consider the servicing in the sticks potential problem. I chose to lean on the side of quality not needing servicing. And now, I would have to dive another Reg a while to be convinced making a change for traveling service convenience was ok with me.
But as you said you’ve been reading, plenty of people think the benefits are minimal considering the price etc. Any chance to dive any of the regs available locally within your price range?

Everybody recommends the reg they are using, and there doesn't seem to be a truly independent testing source out there.

Try Regulators - Scuba Diving Magazine . It's not consumer reports, but I've found it to be helpful.

I would not worry about local service. You can send it away every 2 years. If you just need a minor adjustment then any good reg tech should be able to help.

Asthma and diving is nothing to mess with. I hope you've taken the chance to talk with a doctor who understands both your condition and recreational diving.

Rich

You should look at the LDS just because they do not sell the Atomic they may service them. Most Technicians are certified for more that they shop sells. It is allways better to own your own Reg but you should try before you buy.
You will enjoy it diving more with your own reg

I don't understand why there are so few Atomic dealers. By all accounts, they make some of the best regs, but my area isn't the only one where dealers are hard to find. Does Atomic have a poor dealer program, or protected territories? Seems like a two hour drive is an awfully large territory. I've never paid much attention; are Atomic dealers plentiful at dive destinations?

Seems like I read somewhere you can send regs back to Atomic for service. Is that true? Redrover, I checked Scuba Toys site and they don't list the Z2. Neither does LeisurePro. It used to be there, but it's gone. As far as trying regs from the LDS, a pool would be my only option, and it would probably be with rental units. I wouldn't be able to try out anything Atomic.

Atomic has the same restrictions on Internet sales as ScubaPro and Apex, but the difference is that Atomic seems to do a good job enforcing them while ScubaPro and Aqualung/Apex don't seem to really care. You can order an Atomic reg via their website and a dealer somewhere will ship it to your door. You're stuck with MSRP. Other than that, new ones sometimes pop up on ebay and Leisure Pro gets them in sometimes. ScubaToys (or any other dealer) can't sell to you unless you are in the store looking face to face. I read somewhere that there might be an exception if you live so many miles from an Atomic dealer, but I'm not sure about that.

I've been told that yes, you can send your regs back to the factory for service.

I see slightly used Atomics on ebay and craigslist often (new diver bought one, didn't like diving, regs sit in closet for a few years and then go up for sale). Just watch out for regs without the newer jet piston.

Rich

fireflock-
It would seem that without internet sales there would be even more LDS dealers. It doesn't make sense. Dealer location is probably the only thing keeping me from buying Atomic.

How do I know if a reg has the "newer jet piston"? Also, I don't see many *2 regs on ebay, but there are more *1's. Is there much difference between say a B1 & B2?

I don't know all the details about the different models Atomic has put out over the years. I've been told more than once that if the 1st stage has an all black cap on the top then it has the new piston. Regs with a black ring and silver cap in the middle have the old one.

You can probably call Atomic and verify all of that. They are pretty responsive to customer questions in my experience.

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom