Getting Started in UW Photo, a few photos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InkDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Posted this earlier but don't see it. Please excuse if this is a repeat.....

This weekend was my 3rd time diving with my camera. I figure after about 100-200 more dives, I'll get some really good photos. Until then, the learning is lots of fun!!

A few things I've learned so far. I need to get close, and when I think I'm close, I need to get even closer. Strobe placement has been a challenge. I'm getting better, but still need lots of work there. I've also realized that I don't need to look through the viewfinder for the really wide angle shots, as I am beginning to get a god feel for the framing just from where I am pointing the housing. I'm sure for macro shots, an extreme close ups, this would not be the case, but in the case of these wide angle shots, it seems to be working out....even better than I thought. Lighting is a challenge. I like to shoot in Manual, so working out the settings is a continuous learning process.

Anyhow, here are a few of the shots from yesterday. Any thoughts or comments are most welcome, as I said, I've got a lot to learn underwater.

Nikon D200
Sigma 10-20 at 10mm
Ikelite housing
Ikelite DS-125 Strobe (TTL)
ISO 200
Manual 1/60-1/200, f/8
WB on auto and adjusted in PP

227918851-L.jpg

227923482-L.jpg

The rest of the gallery is at Don Currie Photography- powered by SmugMug and includes photos from yesterday and last week (filenames contain dates)

You have some really nice pictures there, especially the many Manatee portraits. Also, a nice wide angle shot looking past a school of fish at the surface with some nice light.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom