Looking for a good point and shoot

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are a handful of cameras available that will go underwater without a housing, but they are generally limited to quite shallow depths. I think Olympus has one that'll do 30 feet, otherwise every camera you look at will need a housing. The housings generally come with a lanyard to put around your wrist and most have weights either with the housing or available to make them neutrally buoyant. You can hook them to your BC with various attachments, but my guess is most divers just carry theirs.

Many of the basic point and shoots from Canon, Olympus, Nikon, Sony and Casio have available housings, but you'll want to make sure first before buying the camera. If you already have a digital camera, post what make and model it is and someone here will probably know if there is a housing available. Most dive shops have access to cameras that are set up for scuba, but many are basically point and shoot cameras with housings which oftentimes are less capable than many combos you could put together yourself.

I thought about Sea life

From their site:

SeaLife Digital Cameras are depth tested to 200ft/60m.
SeaLife ReefMasster RC, CL, and SportDiver II film cameras are tested to 164ft/50m.
SeaLife SportDiver I is rated to 100ft/30m.
SharkDiver film cameras are rated to 80ft/24m.

I have a SeaLife DC600 and can recommend it. It's a rugged great housing, fits nicely in a drysuit pocket or can just be clipped to your harness and float around.

The camera itself is pretty decent (not the best of digital cameras, but good), and since it has a special underwater mode that does colour-correction, you don't have to fix the images afterwards.

Borrow or rent one or ebay...or if you are thinking of it for land use as well, the Canon A series in a Canon housing is tough to beat. For the price of the Sealife you can almost get a Canon system that works great on land as well as U/W. IMO

Borrow or rent one or ebay...or if you are thinking of it for land use as well, the Canon A series in a Canon housing is tough to beat. For the price of the Sealife you can almost get a Canon system that works great on land as well as U/W. IMO

AND the Canon will take better pictures than the SeaLife IMO.

The A series with housing is a hard "bang for your buck" to beat.

I use a Sony Cyber shot with a used housing. Got about $150 bucks into it takes good pics etc... My buddy has a Sealife that has spent more time on UPS trucks than with him.

We have a Fuji F30 with a Fuji housing. Takes great pictures for our purposes - just to show friends and help with post dive fish/critter identification. Very easy to use. This Fuji has an underwater mode to help with color correction.

I just bought an SD800 with the WP-DC9 housing. You wont find many cameras you can take deep without a housing (I would say 3 or 4 meters). This includes the Sea Life cameras. The Sea Life Models that go deep have a housing, they have just done a really good job at making the housing small and blend well with the camera itself. I would recommend a cheaper point and shoot, maybe a canon A series and housing, which you could easily do for about $300 off amazon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom