Which wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike D

Instructor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at getting the Transpac with either the Trek or the Rec wing. Right now I am only diving singles but I want a wing that can grow with me a little. I will be taking up cave diving this winter.

I am looking at getting the Transpac with either the Trek or the Rec wing. Right now I am only diving singles but I want a wing that can grow with me a little. I will be taking up cave diving this winter.

Unfortunately there's really no single wing that fits both singles and doubles well, particularly if by 'singles' you mean AL80s, and by 'doubles' you mean double steel tanks, or double AL80s. You need the right tool for the right job, which means selecting just enough lift for your rig, and not too much more/less.

Read some of Tobin's (www.deepseasupply.com) wing-related posts he gives good advice on wing selection based upon your current rig and the lift required. (I think his user ID is cool_hardware52, or something similar).

Typically (generalizing), AL80 need 30lbs or less of lift, double AL80s 45 or less, and 60lbs for double steels (which greatly varies, given you can have steel 72s up to 130s, or higher). Again, this is a gross generalization, but not too far off.

That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but it's best to make the right selection.

Best of luck with your selection.

Since you'll be taking a cave diving course soon, talk to your instructor about wing selection.

I consider the DiveRite Trek or Rec Wings as primarily doubles wings, and can be used as a single in a pinch. There are better single tank wings on the market.

What type of tank do you plan for doubles? the 40# lift of the Trek wing will limit you to "smaller" doubles - AL80s to HP100s. This is actually the types of doubles that I use, so a 40# is sufficient. But when you add multiple stages, or you dive a larger tank (LP104s for example), you'd want a wing with more lift. Based on your options, that's either a Rec Wing or Classic Wing.

Thanks for the responses. That's what I figured.....no one wing for multiple situations.

I started w/ a rec wing and had the same mentality of the perfect versatile wing. It's a little sloppy w/ singles, but will do the trick if you need it to. I now dive a super wing for my doubles rig & a venture for singles. I think the rec wing has it's place, just make sure it's the "right tool" for what you're looking to do. I still have the rec wing & am trying to sell it if you're interested.

Check out the Oxychec Razor, I use this wing with a Transpac and a steel 100 or 108, Works really nice together. One wing will not work for both singles and doubles. If you do get into cave diving you will probably move from the Transpac to a plate.

I used the TransPak II for years for rec diving, and had much success with it. I did finally replace the shoulder purge with an elbow because it caused leaking problems.

I started cave this year and I bought a BP&W. I bought the steel backplate and single looped through harness. Since I am not diving a dry suit at this time, and it is recommended to have dual redundant buoyancy for overhead environments, I bought the dual classic wing for diving doubles. Basically, you have 2 bladders in one. With steel doubles (Faber LP108s and heavier) the lift, at 55 lbs, is marginal at the surface at the start of the dive with the steel backplate, but I have great control during the dive and at the deco and safety stops. I have DR RG2500s and DR second stages. I have had great success with these in all conditions, and see myself using this gear for the foreseeable future.

Back
Top Bottom