Spearfishing Fins and Techniques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FishDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I am interested in the use of long fins for spearfishing without using scuba.

I am new to spearing but I have done a lot of scuba and snorkeling. I found that scuba fins are terrible for surface swimming. I use an old pair of short swim training fins for snorkeling because the longer fins wasted most of the power breaking the surface.

How well do the freediving-style spearing fins work while searching for prey from the surface? Are the long fins somehow better than scuba fins for surface swimming or is the inefficiency the compromise made for efficient deep diving?

I am interested in the use of long fins for spearfishing without using scuba.

I am new to spearing but I have done a lot of scuba and snorkeling. I found that scuba fins are terrible for surface swimming. I use an old pair of short swim training fins for snorkeling because the longer fins wasted most of the power breaking the surface.

How well do the freediving-style spearing fins work while searching for prey from the surface? Are the long fins somehow better than scuba fins for surface swimming or is the inefficiency the compromise made for efficient deep diving?

I don't do any free-diving, but have you ever tried split fins? I've been using ScubaPro Split Jets since they came out and I love them. Very little leg fatigue and good thrust. I've been thinking about switching to Atomic splits as my SPs have a few miles on them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom