Nudi pics and ID Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

orangelion03

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We saw lots of different nudibranchs on the Peace trip this weekend. Some I recognized, others new to me.

First off, the photo of a Montery dorid (edited). There appears to be another smaller nudi up by the rhinophores, on the anemone. Is this a nudi or something else?

sealemon.jpg

Hiltons' Aeolid
nudibranch1.jpg

sandiegensis
nudibranch2.jpg

Hi Robert, the white nudi next to your lemon looks a lot like a Papillosa, specifically Aeolidia papillosa.... if you have the original and can email it to me I'll take a closer look.

Beautiful Hilton's by the way...

Kim

Suggest that you might want to seach out and invest in a book, "Pacific Coast Nudibranchs" David W. Behrens, 1980, 112 pages, Sea Challengers Pubishers.

Good color plates and easy to read descriptions for postive ID of the little critters,

sdm

Monterey dorid. That nudi in pic one is NOT a sea lemon. Its a Monterey's or what 'dette calls "the dirty dorid" (everything sticks to them.)

The second is a Hiltons.

The third is Sandys.

You shooting now?

Nice.

Ken

Thanks all for the information!!! I have the book, but I was at work, then in emergency room for my hand (cellulitis...go figure), and at my girlfriends house so hadnt had the chance to look at it.

Kim...thank you! It was the first Hilton's I have ever seen (or should I say "noticed"?)

Billy!! Glad to see that stuffing yourself with lobster hasnt dampened your smart ass sense of humor :mooner:

Ken...finally felt comfortable enough in the drysuit to get the camera wet again. It was a bit of a struggle (certainly not ready for a dry night with camera yet) but 6 or 7 nice photos out of 100 or so isnt too bad for me.

Kalani photographed a lot more of the nudis that we saw. He also got several nice shots of torpedo rays, day and night!

Thanks Billy! I got to hand out huge props to guys like Ken and Scott, handling those big SLR rigs in dry suits and in surge and at night!!

Yup...a big ole shot of antibiotics in my posterior (hey, they mix em with a little novicaine now so it doesnt hurt quite as much!), and two different huge pills to take for a week or so. At least I shouldnt be cathing any cold or flu =)

Thanks Billy! I got to hand out huge props to guys like Ken and Scott, handling those big SLR rigs in dry suits and in surge and at night!!

Yup...a big ole shot of antibiotics in my posterior (hey, they mix em with a little novicaine now so it doesnt hurt quite as much!), and two different huge pills to take for a week or so. At least I shouldnt be cathing any cold or flu =)

Scott, Ken and YOU got ME into photography, and now I'm selling my photo setup! LOL, I've actually moved into highend video and need to recoup some of the ridiculous costs.

I'm never gonna forget that trip on the spectre where we saw the Black Sea Bass and all of the fish that were just floating inverted in the water column. What an amazing day that was with a solid dive buddy. I still have the pics you took on my computer at the office.

Billy

why look at the book when everyone can ID them for you :D

Nice pictures......Keep it up!

Back
Top Bottom