Canon S5 IS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ryanpublic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got a Canon S5 IS and ordered an ikelite housing and strobe.

Any advice or tips? Experiences Good or Bad?

The Canon SxIS series are great cameras. The IS will come in handy with the lower light levels but you probably will not be able to take advantage of the great zoom. UW you want to get as close as possible to minimize the amount of water between the camera and the subject.
What kind of strobe did you get?
I used an S1 IS (3MB) for a few years with the Canon housing and recently moved up to an SD700IS with the result being much crisper pictures. I think the newer SXIS cameras have much better image quality.
Looking forward to seeing your new pictures.

The Housing and strobe were from Ikelite. I compared the price on bhphoto and ikelite and my LDS (Scubaland in Austin). Scubaland was below the others and even though the taxes took it over I bought from there anyway.

My strobe assembly is the one with the DS-51.

Hello to both of you!
I'm a rookie diver and I also own a Canon powershot S5 IS. I am trying to find an underwater housing for it and I can't find one I can afford. Do either of you know of a good place to buy one? or even better, did either of you since this post get a different camera and want to sell yours? I am Island hopping the caribbean for 2 months and I'd love to take better pictures than with a disposable without breaking the bank. I hope to someday have as many dives as the two of you! thanks,
Sarah

I got an Ikelite housing and strobe. Think I paid about $700 for each. Been awhile.

It's gonna be hard to talk me out of it. Sorry.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom