Red Sea With New Strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DesertEagle

Contributor
Reaction score
Currently in Eilat, diving with U-Dive. Today I saw the wreck of the Satil. She's covered in soft corals. The first photo shows Claire, the diving in instructor at U-Dive.

Later we went to Moses Rock. This is a shallow coral head, about 1km from the Egyptian border. The number of fish is quite good.

My Olympus SP-310 performed well. The Sea & Sea 16mm lens is sharp but prone to flare, as seen in the last photo. It requires water to focus, but the PT-030 housing has a small hole in the barrel.

This was my first time using a strobe on a digital system. I bought a Sea & Sea YS-60/s, originally made for the Motormarine II camera. Then I added a Heinrichs-Weikamp optical adapter. It works well. I've found that setting the camera to slave flash, output level II is just fine. Most of my photos were taken at half power on the main strobe. A few were at full power.

In all, I'm happy with a system that cost about $1000 including camera, strobe, housing, wide angle lens, arm & tray.

Attachments

• PC030027.jpg
    PC030027.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 87
  • PC030164.jpg
    PC030164.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 72
  • PC030158.jpg
    PC030158.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 87
Nice, looks like there's plenty of marine life in that area. I have dove alot farther south out of Hurgada about 15 years ago. The Red Sea is really a great dive area. The only better place we've been was PNG and some areas the Red Sea were better and others PNG was alot better (it's a toss up with PNG having the edge....my opinion)

Very nice. The school of fish is wonderful....

Beautiful shots, DesertEagle! Like them all, especially the last one! Keep them coming! :wink:

Ed.

Nice DesertEagle. Wonder if it is worth making a D.I.Y. shade/hood for that S&S wide angle lens?

At first I was going to ask you what wide-angle DSLR lens you were using with what type of dome port, because your edge-to-edge sharpness looks pretty good. But then I read the print and surprise, surprise you are using a 7 megapixel P&S with a Sea & Sea wide-angle add-on from the days of film! Good Job!

At first I was going to ask you what wide-angle DSLR lens you were using with what type of dome port, because your edge-to-edge sharpness looks pretty good. But then I read the print and surprise, surprise you are using a 7 megapixel P&S with a Sea & Sea wide-angle add-on from the days of film! Good Job!

Great research!!

I found all of that in the OP'S past post's as well!

You are learning:rofl3:

Great photo's especially the school of fish!

Thanks for the comments.

I'm not sure if a hood would help the lens flare. My guess is that the combination housing/WAL presents some kind of optical defect.

Today I did the same dives. I haven't downloaded those photos yet.

Here are a few more from yesterday.

Attachments

• PC030039.jpg
    PC030039.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 41
  • PC030155.jpg
    PC030155.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 36
My Olympus SP-310 performed well. The Sea & Sea 16mm lens is sharp but prone to flare, as seen in the last photo. It requires water to focus, but the PT-030 housing has a small hole in the barrel.

Is it possible to use Sea&Sea 16 mm lens with digital camera housing? How did you attach the lens on the PT-030 housing? I can fine used Sea&Sea 16 mm lens but I thought that it's just for Nikonos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom