Still in Lobster Lust

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1st you have to move to New England. You'll learn before you know it! All you need, is a tickle stick, game bag, and a measuring gauge. You look for a lobster in crevices, gently tickle him out of it (aim for the one of the 10 armpits, cracks 'em up laughing so hard they forget to run away). While he's twichting and contorting himself from all the tickling, you grab him by the back, so that he can't reach you with the claws when he comes to, and measure. If he's legal, stick him in the catch bag. Stick in a pot when you get home. :)

-Roman.

OK, suppose I buy a “tickle stick” from the Great Lobster Tickle Stick Store of Maine …….. what exactly would I have? Is it a spear? Am I spearing him under his leg pits? What is the stick made of and how long is it? What is the bootie bag made of? Is it cloth or netting?
I was reading about spear fishing and it suggested that after you have nabbed/speared your dinner, you might want to get it out of the water ASAP so that all the hungries in the area don’t smell it and arrive with appetite intact and confuse YOU for their dinner. Do I need to worry about this when lob-ing?

A tickle stick is just a thin stick. Nothing more, nothing less. You use it to tickle the lobster out of its hole. It can be just a thin metal rod with a loop on one end for a lanyard or something (it's way to easy to lose one, so it's not a matter of if, but rather when it'll happen to you). Some sell the fiberglass ones, but I don't like 'em. And remember, you can't kill the lobster! You gotta cook it 1st! Once the lobster comes out of its hole and you successfully grabbed it by its carapace (far enough to the back of it so that it can't pinch you) you gotta measure it, to make sure it's legal. You'll get a brochure, I believe, that explains the details of measuring when you buy your Massachusetts recreational lobster license. Incidentally, it's illegal for divers to catch lobster in Maine. Once you measured the lobster and found out that it's of legal size, you put it into a simple game bag, usually made of mesh, with a closable opening (can't have the critters escaping on you now, can we?). No need to worry about getting out of the water quickly, since lobsters have to remain alive for cooking. Also, make sure you have a cooler with some seawater on shore to put the lobsters in on a hot summer day.

-Roman.

Back
Top Bottom