SOS Buoys Comin'

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tinman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Attended SOS (Save Our Shipwrecks) Toronto Chapter meeting last night. SOS Ontario has secured a grant for ~ 50 Coast Guard approved Buoy's & rigging etc. for Ontario wreck dive sites. SOS chapters across Ontario are submitting proposals for locations. Initial ones proposed by Toronto chapter are:

Sligo
Julia B. Merrill
Lyman M. Davis
Alexandria
JC Morrison

Chapters are in the hunt for donation of concrete anchors and barges, gear and expertise to get the anchors to various sites. Any suggestions anyone?

I vaguely recall someone mentioning that the Coast Guard has left some concrete anchors in place that moorings broke from and that they were unsuccessful in reattaching to and dropped additional anchors down. Any of these close to above sites? Any GPS coords available? Estimated weight? (I know, commercial lifting gear, etc would be needed - one step at a time).

by the city of Barrie (i think- not sure on who actually maintains it, but someone does).

I did not hear of any regular charters going to Sligo, Merril, etc - what's the benefit of bouy if there are not charters?

V

vlada once bubbled...
by the city of Barrie (i think- not sure on who actually maintains it, but someone does).

I did not hear of any regular charters going to Sligo, Merril, etc - what's the benefit of bouy if there are not charters?

V
...The way it was explained last night, is that these wreck sites are not etched in stone and there may be changes once the bouys, rigging, etc are actually received.

The criteria for selection is something I'm not certain on as I was not involved in their selection. I would direct you to SOS for the official answer. I could speculate on some reasons involved (others are welcome to jump in):

1) The Bouys will include labelling designating the site as an historic archeological site to hopefully encourage wreck preservation and low impact dive practices.

2) Eliminate inadvertent anchor damage to the wreck itself.

3) Facilitate archeological study & preservation of the site. Over time many of these sites will be documented by NAS certified divers under the guidance of SOS and the Ministry...

4) Promote awareness among the boating & diving public.

tinman once bubbled...

Chapters are in the hunt for donation of concrete anchors and barges, gear and expertise to get the anchors to various sites. Any suggestions anyone?

POW here in Kingston got help from the Canadian Coast Guard.
We bought the concrete blocks (5 of them) I had a friend with logging truck and hoist and he donated it to get the blocks to the harbour and the Coast Guard bouy tender "Griffin" took then out and dropped them on GPS #'s that we supplyed then we lifted them into final position with our lift bag.
Also if you dive around navagation bouy's sometimes you can find 3-4 old blocks no longer in use and lift bag them over. That's were most of Kingston's came from.

Kingston's POW is getting 10 of the new mooring bouys from SOS
Many Thanks SOS!

The 1000 Islands SOS had our meeting the other night. They are going to mark 4 wrecks, Lillie, JB King, Twisted Sister and the 4th one is still up in the air at this time.

If anyone is looking at doing the survey portion of their Nas #2, pm me for details on this summer's survey of the Kinghorn.

Nancy B. is going to have to stop calling them that or its going to stick.

Back
Top Bottom