Winter Shore Diving Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am want to stay actively diving this winter and am looking for some of the hardcores to hit some shore dives. I'm up for Navarre pier, p-cola beach, I am also willing to go to Orange Beach and hit the whiskey or Alabama point (if I could go with someone familiar with those two sites since I have never dove them) or really anywhere within reason. Temps are really not a concern. I just want to keep my skills up, enjoy the gulf, and hit some dives with some of the nice people I have meet through scubaboard. So who is not scared to get in the winter water?

My new years resolution is to get in at least 100 dives this year.....Lets go diving!!! :scubadive

Me.

Surf is a bigger issue in the winter time though, just keep an eye on the water because the good days are fewer and farther between. Just a little heads up.

Water can get as cold as 54F, so alot of times I'll only be up for single dives unless conditions are just too good to pass up.

My semi-dry allowed me to dive P-cola beach, the Dutch Banks/3 mile Barge and the 3 mile barge/dredge between December-March of this year with water temps at 59*. I was very comfy at those temps. I seems that we get more north winds in the winter causing for glassy surf conditions. Hopefully this will translate to being able to hit some beach dives this winter. If you are up for one dive that is fine with me, typically we will stay under for quite some time on a beach dive anyway.

I seems that we get more north winds in the winter causing for glassy surf conditions.

You'll find that to be a little off. While we'll get North winds at times with glassy conditions, it'll be much more common to get a hard North wind with big choppy swells coming from offshore. Mostly, its just rough, cold, and nasty. Still, on the good days, we dive on(although typically not as long). Search for posts started by me and you'll find reports throughout the winter :D

Me.

Surf is a bigger issue in the winter time though, just keep an eye on the water because the good days are fewer and farther between. Just a little heads up.

Water can get as cold as 54F, so alot of times I'll only be up for single dives unless conditions are just too good to pass up.

Yee Haw! Way to hang bugman. Dive Dive Dive. I'm hitting the quarry this weekend. Don't know what the temp is, really don't care, I'm jonesing. I'm sure it won't be as nice as there, but hey. Looking forward to meeting up again at Springfest. I may actually get my brother to go this time.

Search for posts started by me and you'll find reports throughout the winter :D

Read posts throughout the winter Bahhhh!!!!! how about me diving with with you and helping you write the report!:D

Yee Haw! Way to hang bugman. Dive Dive Dive. I'm hitting the quarry this weekend. Don't know what the temp is, really don't care, I'm jonesing. I'm sure it won't be as nice as there, but hey. Looking forward to meeting up again at Springfest. I may actually get my brother to go this time.

Awesome, I'm looking forward to getting some more dives with you guys at Springfest! :D

Read posts throughout the winter Bahhhh!!!!! how about me diving with with you and helping you write the report!:D

Sure thing, just be prepared for not-so-ideal conditions :) We typically have to settle for 3' visibility and waist high surf!

hmmm I wonder how much weight it takes to sink in a drysuit and al 80. If I've got enough weight I'm in too. I don't usually work Tuesday and Thursday mornings and favor the closer sites to P'cola over the farther ones. :)

I don't usually work Tuesday and Thursday mornings and favor the closer sites to P'cola over the farther ones. :)

Excellent!! I get either monday and tuesday or wednesday and thursday off each week so its looks like tuesday and thursday morning dives should be no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom