Nas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chloro

Reaction score
Anyone knows about a NAS course part 1 or 2 to be offered in the GTA eventually ?

Not aware of one off the top of my head, but I'll drop a line to the instructor, get back to you as soon as I hear.

DivingGal once bubbled...
Not aware of one off the top of my head, but I'll drop a line to the instructor, get back to you as soon as I hear.
Is there not more than one?

Bubble Boy once bubbled...

Is there not more than one?

The NAS organization has not trained that many instructors here in Canada. Of the few I'm aware of, all work for one level of the government or another. The only one I am aware that teaches outside the job is our provincial archeologist.

E-mail sent, hopefully will hear from him soon, and will post complete planned NAS schedule.

Last year, he taught various NAS 1 course around the province from May to October, and the NAS 2 up here in Ottawa in the late fall.

We had our local SOS meeting the other night and from what Bob Ligthart indicated the local course for us will run June 27,28, 29. he has also put together a NAS Level #2 course running 8 days straight ( survey of the Kinghorn ) from Aug 5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12. There is also going to be a nAS 2 in Ottawa in the fall.

On SOS website it shows Hamilton having a NAS 1 May 30 to June 1 and Toronto Sept 19 to 21, check out the link below.

http://www.saveontaroshipwrecks.on.ca/events.html

I realize that Peter will be retiring after this year so if you want to get your NAS designation, I suggest you sign up soon. Our local NAS 1 course has 2 or 3 spots left.

Not to worry about Peter's retirement (if it happens, which I'm not sure he has made his final decision on yet). He is already training his replacement NAS instructor.

NAS I is tentatively slated in Toronto for Sept 20-21. SOS will have a booth at the Feb 22-23 Outdoor Adventure Show if you want to get info there. May 14th is the next Toronto SOS meeting - come out and hear more then if you like. Location & timing I imagine can be obtained on the SOS webpage. Or you could contact Jim Friend SOS Hamilton president jafriend@cogeco.ca regarding their June NAS I course dates.

DivingGal once bubbled...

The NAS organization has not trained that many instructors here in Canada. Of the few I'm aware of, all work for one level of the government or another. The only one I am aware that teaches outside the job is our provincial archeologist.

I know the Parcs Canada nautical archaeologists have been trained by NAS. They offer the course only to those who are going to work for them.

I mentioned in another thread that Kimberley Monk of NAS is speaking at Scuba 2000 on Monday, January 27 at 7 pm. She works for Peter and besides having great knowledge and interest in developing the underwater archeology records for the Great Lakes wrecks, she is also very up on the NAS courses.
She would certainly be able to answer questions you may have on taking the NAS course. I believe she is or will be a NAS instructor.
The talk, demonstration and question/answer period is free.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom