Mako DPV

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DA Aquamaster

Directional Toast
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I just bought a used Mako DPV and am interested in opinions and service tips about it.

I have searched and read what is already on the board and rad the links, but I am still interested in personal experience with it, things people like, things people did not like, changes they would make to one, sources for extra batteries, rigging it, etc.

I am also wondering, admittedly a little late, what the going rate is for a used Mako.

I have a Mako too. The handle sucks! Change it out for a Tekna that will rotate it almost 90 degrees. A harness is mandatory for pretty much any scooter and I use the standard style that is kinda adjustable. A little harder with dry gloves on underwater. Holding the handle between your fingers is more comfortable with the stock handle and is easy enough to control the scooter and hold the trigger. I painted where the trigger pin goes to make it easier to stow or pin the trigger underwater. We have poor vis and a compass mount is about to be made, that will come out from the right handle. I still have the left handle in place as it could be used and my harness wraps around it, but many will completely remove it. The trigger has been removed from the left handle, and the stainless clips held on by the handles are now gone. The propeller blades have been pinned, but there is an article below that shows you how to put screws into them. An AUL clutch is a nice upgrade but pricey.

As to pricing, I saw one guy put two on ebay and neither sold. They looked pretty clean, and he was asking $900 for a modded one and $750 for a stock unit. They were relisted, but I have no clue if or what they sold for. Considering they are $2500 new anything around a $1000 for an ultra clean one is a good deal.

Mako.jpg

Here are all the important websites that I have found and gathered for info. Please add to them if someone has more info.
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-propulsion-vehicles/181229-how-rig-dpv-harness.html
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
Mako
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
CDF - Scooter Tow Straps II
CDF - Scooter Tow Straps
Mako Motor Compartment
Scooter Prop
DPV Repair
Submerge Scooters, prop assembly
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
CaveDiver.com == Battery Information
CAVEDIVER.COM -- Resources
The Deco Stop

I just paid $850 (the only bid) for a clean looking Mako with decent batteries, an AJ clutch and dual solid state relay upgrades so it sounds like the price was ok.

The links are great, thanks!

Coupla a tips...
Nose plate
The Lexan nose plate is the weak link in the Makos. It can implode sometimes at quite a bit less than the rated depth. I peice of 3/16" AL plate can be cut to fit in this spot and sealed with silicon. I had Steve Gamble of DPV Repair make mine for $25 I think. Cheap insurance.

O rings
I have made my own orings for my Mako using buna cord stock I got from Macmaster. I bought a kit with various sizes cause I was actually trying to get the main oring to be just a smidge larger (its was leaking on the stock oring). So I can't tell you the exact dimensions for the different rings. But you can measure the existing with calipers and get the same or 0.5mm more or less if you need to change the size. The cord stock glues togetehr easily with superglue.

Aftermarket batteries
For freshwater you want the Powersonic ps-12180. These are 18Ah batteries (20 hr rate) and about the lightest. You need light weight to not be excessively heavy in FW.

For salt water you can use slightly heavier batteries and the scooter will still be basically neutral. The powersonic PSH-12180FR is the "high rate" 21Ah version of the above. Slightly more capacity in the same case. Slightly heavier which is ok in salt water.

Spec sheets available for both here:
Battery Store/TNR Technical your Extreme Batteries Source

Aftermarket chargers
These folks have good prices on 2 and 4 amp chargers. 2 is very slow, but 4amp a good compromise size. 24 Volt Battery Chargers: BatteryMart.com

Burn tester
If you want to track your battery capacity you can build a burn tester. Don't use it too often you'll wear out the batteries. Just use it to log relative performance. I only burn down to 20.5V under load. I got about 53mins on the 21Ahs and 48mins on the 18Ahs
Gavin/Irvine Scooter Burn Tester

Operating tips
You can make the tow cord a bit long and wrap the excess around the left handle. Most of us drive the Mako/Gavins with the right handle in the 12 o'clock position.

Be sure to soak/rinse the clutch area well after saltwater dives.

Ok gotta work now, hope these prove helpful :)

Peter_c Great info. You even have a thread I starded over on the Deco Stop. I am in the process of changing out the handle to a Tekna style.
Keep the info coming.

View attachment 41819

Here are all the important websites that I have found and gathered for info. Please add to them if someone has more info.
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dive-propulsion-vehicles/181229-how-rig-dpv-harness.html
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
Mako
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
CDF - Scooter Tow Straps II
CDF - Scooter Tow Straps
Mako Motor Compartment
Scooter Prop
DPV Repair
Submerge Scooters, prop assembly
The Deco Stop
The Deco Stop
CaveDiver.com == Battery Information
CAVEDIVER.COM -- Resources
The Deco Stop[/QUOTE]

I may have the manual for that scooter.

It is essentially the same as the Tekna except with an extra length added that functionally allowed the scooter to be charged with the top sheel off and which also added some bouyancy to the overly negative Tekna. I use two 18 AH inexpensive wheelchair batteries for my scooter, on sale for 34 dollars. I have built up two scooters with these sealed batteries and they do just fine. Local battery supply stores should have these batteries in stock.

Makos run between 300 and 1,000 dollars or so if functioning.

DPV Repair probably has parts for these, I have bought with good luck from them. You have to understand that the Mako is essentially identical to the Tekna with a few improvements.

I use a rigged up 24V charger and I may have a non functioning but repairable variable rate Tekna 24V charger.

This is the DPV repair aft bulkhead upgrade:

DSCF0268.jpg

Here are the pair before I sold the black one:

DSCF0286.jpg

N

Will that center section on the Mako fit on the Tekna. I got rid of my Tekna because it was so negative. It was my first scooter and I learned to live with it. When I got my Mako with the neutral (or close to it) bouyancy I was amazed at the difference.

Will that center section on the Mako fit on the Tekna. I got rid of my Tekna because it was so negative. It was my first scooter and I learned to live with it. When I got my Mako with the neutral (or close to it) bouyancy I was amazed at the difference.

Well, for one thing where would you get a center section. I have not found the negative condtion especially diffucultto deal with and useful when I park it on the bottom in current. You can glue up a neoprene slip on cover or a external foam ballast.

N

It was just a thought, I sold my tekna to a buddy. If they are available those center sections would make a nice modification. I did use PVC pipe for bouyancy but it was a bit of a kluge.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom