Please recommend a reg..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Graeme Duane

Registered
Reaction score
Hello guys, some of you are gonna shiver at these questions, but I'm at the point where I need to get my act together.

I come from a freediving background, and am now in the position where I'm spending almost every day either freediving or scuba diving with HD video gear. I currently have a beat up old Cressi 1st & 2nd stage with no octo.

I need to get myself sorted out as far as safety goes, and want to purchase a solid and safe reg that'll take fairly heavy daily use in sometimes remote areas such as Mozambique.

I like the Poseidons but am totally in the dark as to what are currently good, solid and dare I say "good value for money"...

Many thanks...

Well, I would recommend against the Poseidon's for this case. Not that Poseidon't aren't good, I owned one. But they are hard to tune, seem to require a little tweaking more often then most, and are pricey to get serviced. I would stick to something that can get serviced all over the world, others will chime in to help with this, but I think Scuba Pro's are fairly easy to get service on, and maybe Apeks. I love my Zeagle regs and they are rock solid, but I don't think they are quite as easy to get international service on if you need it somewhere remote.

Mares are serviceable in many areas. I like the Abyss 2nd and Proton Octo. The 1st stage is bit heavy, but breathes great in any position/depth and is extremely reliable. Do a search on the Net for reliability. I think NASA supposedly uses it in their training efforts.

Diving with no Octo? Not the best buddy are you? :)

AZ

I am also a snorkeler turned diver with a big cam.

Being a newbie I can't "recommend" anything. But I can tell you that after a month of research I ended up getting Sherwood Maximus and Gemini octo. I was looking for a streamlined set up. Less hoses, less weight more reliability. Maximus has a light adjustable second stage and hose goes under the arm, and Gemini means no hose. Scubatoys.com sells them both.

But again, I am not recommending. I have to receive my order yet.

Shekes,

So you finally decided :) Let us know what you think once you get a few dives with the new kit. Maybe under the previous thread you started RE: kit would work for those playing along at home.

AZ

I use a Atomic B2 and SS1 , I have had about everthing (A/L,S/P,Sherwood,Mares and so on ) and the Atomic is hands down the best reg I have every had.

Hello guys, some of you are gonna shiver at these questions, but I'm at the point where I need to get my act together.

I come from a freediving background, and am now in the position where I'm spending almost every day either freediving or scuba diving with HD video gear. I currently have a beat up old Cressi 1st & 2nd stage with no octo.

I need to get myself sorted out as far as safety goes, and want to purchase a solid and safe reg that'll take fairly heavy daily use in sometimes remote areas such as Mozambique.

I like the Poseidons but am totally in the dark as to what are currently good, solid and dare I say "good value for money"...

Many thanks...

Welcome to SB

Try to give us a little more info on the type of diving you will be doing. I.e. cold, deep, deco, etc so we can better advise you. If you are doing photography, then just off the cuff I would say the diving is not likely to be too demanding, but I sure others here will chime in with special cases as I know that pushing a heavy camera around can not be as easy as it might seem to a snap & shoot guy like me.

From a safety aspect full redundancy is the best. Two tanks, one could be a pony or you could do the doubles routine with a manifold, two regulators. This also allows you to continue diving if one craps out.

But to reiterate, let us know more about the diving and yourself. Would you be comfortable with servicing your own gear?

couv

I went with the Zeagle DS-V/ZX. I felt it was a good reg to start with price wise and was something I can grow with.

I will be contrary, I have seen some awfully good regulators these days aside from the overly plastic second stages they all have in common but from your question you seem to need something that is easy to service everywhere and has high performance--well---that would be the simple, mechanically robust, easy to find parts for AL Titan LX. The first stage is proven after decades of use going all the way back to double hose regulators of the 60s. That means you ought to be able to get parts and service anywhere for years to come due to it's generic past. And, they breath just fine, no discernable difference compared to the Legend LX which love it or hate nobody can say the Legend does not sit at or very near the pinacle of regulator performance. BTW, LeisurePro, 264 dollars.

N

Many thanks...

I recommend ScubaPro MK17/G250 Vintage,there are alot of Good Regs Out There,But i Find that is very important to have a reg that will hold up under the worse conditions and still perform well.
Plus you want a reg that can be serviced anywhere you go.
Scuba Pro's service program is top notch.
My second choice would be Apex or aqualung for the same reasons.

Back
Top Bottom