Advice on one reg to do it all!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lightman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there ppl! I'm in the research phase of buying a reg for my g/f, and was hoping for some advice from the experts around here. She's a rec diver that's been diving for 5 years or so, and has logged around 60 dives total. Most of her diving is warmer water tropical dive spots - and she isn't likely getting into the harder core type of tech diving most folks do around here anytime soon. This will be her first and only reg for all around use (unlike most here who seem to have bags full of different equipment for different dives ).

In poking around the internet and talking with her brother who typically accompanies her diving, a few regs have been recommended and discussed. Hoping for opinions on these regs for her application, as well as other suggestions based on the above.

If anyone could speak to the pros/cons of the piston regs like atomic vs the balanced diaphragm style like aqualung that would be great too - I'm a total novice when it comes to regs as I'm a new diver, and would love some enlightenment there.

-aqualung kronos
-aqualung legend lx
-a few diff atomic models

It seems the side exhaust of the kronos would be really nice, as well as the automatic closing 1st stage that seals out water. Then again that swivel feature on the atomics sure looks like it would add comfort. Then all I can read about the legend lx is how awesome it is... So with that said, I'd love to hear from the folks that actually have used these and can help me sift through the marketing bs. I should note that I looked into it and both brand regs have 2 yr service intervals with a 1 yr inspection. Thanks in advance, I look forward to your comments!

Dave

It depends on how much you want to spend, what's easiest to get serviced, etc. It sounds like your girlfriend goes on a dive trip/year or something like that, so the reg is going to basically sit around for the rest of the year? If that's the case, the 2 yr service interval is a big advantage. Some means of keeping the 2nd stage soft seat disengaged during storage would be another. Personally I would not go for the automatic closing 1st stage (at least the oceanic type) because I see it as a solution to a non-existent problem. Just use the dust cap! Plus, dirty inlet filters can really degrade a reg's performance, and can provide a good "warning" that there's crud in the tank. The oceanic style auto-seal puts the filter deeper into the reg where you can't see it. Combine that with mostly rental tanks, especially in caribbean or 3rd world resort areas, and I'd avoid it.

As far as performance goes, I'm sure any of the regs you're looking at would be way more than sufficient.

Thanks for the reply mattboy. Both of the aqualungs and the atomics all have a 2 yr service interval. yes the gear will sit for a lot of the year, but get used more than 1 time per year..she goes for 1-2 dedicated (4-5 days in the water) dive trips, as well as probably 3-5 other opportunities on trips etc during the year. I'm not sure if the ACD that Aqualung uses is an 'oceanic type' device or not, however I've not read of any problems with the ACD, only a couple instances where someone was possibly saved by it after dropping the uncapped reg into the sand/water.

I had a feeling you'd say that about performance..am I comparing a benz with a bmw at this point?

All high end regs are about the same as far as performance goes. The features that attracted you to those regs are, for me, basically meaningless. I've tried the Atomic regs with the swivel and I couldn't notice any difference in comfort. They breathe great. I don't really see the point in the side exhaust unless you're worried about bubbles for photography. As far as piston or diaphragm, for your diving, you'll never know the difference. Find out what you can get serviced easily and don't buy a cheepo. Aside from that, anything you buy will be excellent. Also I would stay away from the to tier models from most manufacturers because they are basically the same as the mid level regs but with a bunch of unnecessary bells and whistles.

i'm going to have to agree with mattboy on the autoclosing feature ... in my opinion it is something that is not needed and just is an added gimmick

that aside, while i do not have any personal experience with the legend lx, i know of people who like the reg

as for the atomics, they basically all breathe nearly identical ... so for the amount of use you mentioned i would personally go for the Z2 ... the only Atomic that comes with the comfort swivel standard is the B2 ... find a LDS that has these brands and go look at them ... plus they might let you hop in the pool and try them so you could notice the difference for yourself

Thanks for the replies.

jefffalcone - those additional 'gimicky' features I was noting were not the source of primary attraction to these regulators, their performance was. For the most part I was assuming all three would have good to great performance. In trying to decide between them though, I was comparing the additional bells and whistles...as well as trying to get a better understanding of the differences etc for my own knowledge. One interesting difference I noted is that while atomic has the edge as far as limited lifetime warranty goes, aqualung provides free maintenance kit parts for the life of the reg(orig owner) which is pretty nice.

I understand that these regs may be a bit of overkill for an occasional rec diver, but my preference has always been to get high quality equipment with room to grow into skill wise, that I will maintain and keep for a long time. She may move on to more challenging diving in the next couple years, it's hard to speculate.

Does anyone have any input on piston vs diaphragm regs?

I will say, the atomics are a lot more expensive- is there a reason that I'm missing?

Thx guys

Looking at schematics of the atomic, it appears to be pretty similar to the SP MK25 and the SP barrel poppet 2nds, one of which is the new G250V. You might want to add that one to the list. It's not surprising considering the fact that atomic was started by SP engineers. The downside to the SP is that I believe the warranty still requires annual rebuilds.

I would not be too concerned about the "free parts" bit. The actual replacement parts are typically a few o-rings and seats. I would be concerned about the overall maintenance costs associated with a lifetime warranty. As an example, I no longer send my MK2 for annual service, as the cost would quickly exceed that of a new regulator, and a well cared for MK2 can easily go for a much longer time than one year between servicing with occasional diving.

Regarding piston vs diaphragm design, the choice is yours. Personally I only have experience with piston regs, so I'm not qualified to comment. There are great regs of both designs.

Thanks for the replies.

I will say, the atomics are a lot more expensive- is there a reason that I'm missing?

Atomic Z2 is very reasonable. $429 and breathes the same as the B2 ($699) but without the swivel on the 1st and 2nd stage. It is a great regulator for a new diver. As you get better, you won't have to buy a new regulator; you can just upgrade your Z2 to a B2, if you choose, but adding the appropriate parts.

I have dove with many regulators over the years and I prefer Atomic for their quality and customer service.

If you purchase on line from Atomic, you will pay full retail. Talk to your LDS Dealer and you might do better.

If this is the one with the cdx5 first stage I'm a little miffed that xmas is coming. Other wise I'd be getting a couple of those Phil. I use the GT3 as a backup on my doubles rig. Adjustable inhalation effort and oceanic's rep for quality and service after the sale make this a no brainer. MAn why couldn't you have posted this a month ago before I spent my money on gifts for people who won't appreciate them near as much as I'd appreciate a couple of these regs.

Back
Top Bottom