Photo editing software

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ejg62

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been a while since I last had to purchase a photo editing software application. There are several new ones available. What application are people now using. I recently switched from Windows to a Mac. The applications I am considering include Aperture, Photoshop Elements 4.0 (most recent for the Mac) or Photoshop Light Room.

I have used Photoshop Elements previously and have toyed with Aperture recently.

Let me know your thoughts and which application you use.

ejg

first off do you plan to shoot in raw? if yes then i would highly recommend Aperture in combination with photoshop CS3 if you are not shooting in raw i still recommend aperture. Aperture is a great program it is like a light version of photoshop with a few added feature that let you take full advantage of shooting in raw. One of the nice thing about Aperture is it allows for nondestructive editing meaning that you never change or alter the original images and if you don't like what you have done you press a button and it revert back to the original. it will allow you to do a lot with your raw images before you process them. one other thing that is nice about aperture is that it allows you to open up an image in another program like Photoshop CS3 and have the image never acutely leave aperture. this program has also allowed me to become more organized than i ever have. it is a good buy even if you don't shoot raw.

Actually, I think Aperture and Photoshop CS 3 are a good combo, period. These are the two I use.

Lightroom is also great - and not too expensive. It provides a lot of the most frequently used editing capability (not as much as Photoshop CS), and also has great catalog features. I now use it 95% of the time and Photoshop only 5%. It also lets you work in RAW or jpg and open things up in photoshop if you need some heavier editing (if you have it)

You can download a 30 day free trail to play (and there's some free on line video tutorials some guy made - google it if youre interested, or if you cant find it i can look)

edit: i found the tutorials link:
Free Lightroom Tutorials - Adobe Lightroom Tips & Tricks | PhotoshopSupport.com

Thanks for the reply. I have a trial for Aperture. Maybe you can answer a question - my loupe does not move smoothly an is some what jerky. I have closed all other programs and still does not move well.

I have asked this question in the Apple support boards but haven't heard anything. I have a MacBook Pro 2.2.

Thanks

Lightroom and Photoshop here as well.

You can download a 30-day trial of Lightroom on the Adobe site.

I hardly use Photoshop at all any more. Nearly all of my post-processing I do in Lightroom.

I've been using CorelDraw since version 1.1.2 back in the '80s when Word Perfect was the major employers in Orem, UT. You can get v12 - the previous one to X3 for $60. This includes Corel Photo Paint which is what I use along with a ton of other stuff you may never get to. I used Photoshop when I did calendars and graphic design, but I always went back to Corel. Still there today.
Not recommending these guys - just an example of what is out there.
CorelDraw 12 Graphics Suite

It has been a while since I last had to purchase a photo editing software application. There are several new ones available. What application are people now using. I recently switched from Windows to a Mac. The applications I am considering include Aperture, Photoshop Elements 4.0 (most recent for the Mac) or Photoshop Light Room.

I have used Photoshop Elements previously and have toyed with Aperture recently.

Let me know your thoughts and which application you use.

ejg

I researched this situation several months ago & asked the same question(s) here.......basically was told to get PS Element 5.0- & I did, see my pics below in my sig, alot were edited there(also-for free-I downloaded Pacasa 2), good for cropping, adjusting color & sharpness, & getting rid of back scatter(with the spot healing brush tool)........good luck..........

Back
Top Bottom