Please need critique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jfproul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
need critique on this picture.

Attachments

• cornu1.jpg
    cornu1.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 158
I think it is a very good shot. To make it even better, I would like to see more light in the upper right side, basically in front of the fish. There is just a little too much of a hot spot reflection on the side of the fish, so maybe you should give it a little powder next time...

It would be better if the fish wasn't swimming away, but the technical aspects are fine.

Not too shabby. If you want a critique, the image looks flat to me (because the fish and coral are in the same intensity of light). Perhaps a diffuser on the strobe?

It's got good exposure and great color, but is uninteresting due to boring composition.

You can create better motion by trying to get the fish to swim into the picture. Try to create eye contact between the fish and the viewer, this will provide a a personal intereaction with the picture.

Also, your fish is perfectly centered. For some reason, most people find pictures that are more pleasing have the focal point of the picture, which might be the eye of the fish in this case, off centered. The "rule of thirds" provides good guidance for this.

Additionally, if you can fill the frame with the fish a bit more (by getting closer), I think it would help.

It is a pretty good picture, just picking it since you asked.
I think proper exposure is hardest to master, and you nailed it. good composition can be learned pretty easily, just take thought prior to pulling the trigger.

Take care,
John

Pretty good shot, your color is great. I agree about the composition, though that's one of my favorite fish and they seem to be pretty shy so they are hard to get close to. If he wasn't moving away from you and you had his face turned more towards the camera it would have been excellent. I almost tend to look at the coral on both sides of this shot more. Your clarity is really good though and nice color.

My opinion is that it's a great shot!!! I would welcome that shot into my collection any day. While the composition is not as interesting as some I've seen, you take what's given to you by the fish at the time you take the shot. Unfortunately, we just can't order the fish to do what we want them to!!!!! Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Bill

I don't think anyone's saying it isn't a great shot but he asked for critiques. I have a similar photo that I took on a night dive and I was almost right above the fish which didn't turn out very well. I was afraid if I took the time to back up and get lower he would already be gone so I just took it. If I had been lower it could have been a pretty good shot.

Attachments

• Copy of Cozumel '06 (273).JPG
    Copy of Cozumel '06 (273).JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Copy of Cozumel '06 (275).JPG
    Copy of Cozumel '06 (275).JPG
    362.4 KB · Views: 24
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom