Need recommendation for swimming book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I have and found informative is "Fitness Swimming" by Emmett Hines.

Amazon.com: Fitness Swimming (Fitness Spectrum Series): Books: Emmett W. Hines

I hope that link works, if not a search on Amazon will find it for $12.89 plus shipping.

I can't say how it compares to other swimming books as it is the only one on my shelf right now.

Some time with a good swim coach can help a lot as they can show you and guide you to better technique.

I agree with pipedope about finding a swimming coach or teacher to help you with form. The techniques will be personalized to your individual needs and correction for any bad habits you might have picked up along the way. Usually the YMCA (if you have one nearby) has inexpensive coaches, or may even give you no-cost tips if that's all you're looking for.

I third the recommendation for a few sessions with a coach. I spent about an hour with a friend of ours who used to teach swimming, and in that very short time, he was able to take me from unable to do the crawl more than twenty feet to being able to swim laps. I don't think I could have gotten that from a book (although I didn't try it).

not everyone lives in metropolitan areas, guys. i'm 30 minutes from the nearest mcdonald's, 50 from the nearest barnes & noble, 60 from the nearest y (and interstate), and 2 hours from the nearest apple store.

i was wondering about a book myself, 'swimming for dummies'-type. i can swim since i live on the water, but as a self-taught swimmer, i'm sure i'm not as efficient as possible.

i won't drown, though, because plump floats!:wink:

Depending on how far you want to take your swimming, and especially if you're looking at swimming for fitness, you might want to look into a local masters team.
Probably won't help in the remote corners of NC (sorry, BabyDuck!), but there are several here in South Florida: USMS Places To Swim Search Results

Thanks for the tips everyone. Yeah, I am swimming with some very experienced swimmers who can provide me with coaching & feedback. I would also like a book just to have a clear picture in my head of the proper form. I'm kinda visual and it sinks in quicker if I can visualize the correct form. Keep the tips coming :)

Back
Top Bottom