Dah New Rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mo2vation

Relocated to South Florida....
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been shooting Ikelite since I started shooting DLSR. I just moved to the L&M housing. Today was to be its maiden voyage, but the surf was a little prohibitive locally today. I booked a trip to Catalina for tomorrow so I can get in and get the thing wet.

I'm pretty fired up. The differences between the two housings is night and day, as far as speed at subject (specifically changing settings), ergonomics and lighting options.

Here are some shots with the 60mm flat port installed. I'm keeping the same strobes and arms.

I built a handle strap for the Light & Motion housing to replace the rigid handle you see on the Ikelte. A "handle" makes surf entries, deckhand hand-off's and general transportation so much easier and safer.

The Strap you see on the L&M - well, I raided parts from my old rig for the strap - which is why the L&M has the strap and the Ike doesn't.

I'm eager to see how it performs in the water, but shooting stuff around my office I'm loving the difference.

Here are some shots of the rig. Report to follow after I get back tomorrow.

---
Ken

WTF? That thing looks like a 1955 Physics Experement! LOL

(testing your sense of humor... I'm teasing!)

Nice setup Ken. The L&M is USB driven, right? Great concept but I've heard mix stories on the battery life as the housing's electronics is powered by the D200's internal battery. Anyways, look fwd to seeing some shots from Catalina :D

Nice setup Ken. The L&M is USB driven, right? Great concept but I've heard mix stories on the battery life as the housing's electronics is powered by the D200's internal battery. Anyways, look fwd to seeing some shots from Catalina :D

The D200 in general has disappointing batt life, especially after the WEEKS I'd get on my D70. When playing in my office with it for the last several days, I can say that is does take a little juice to run the thing. I'll probably only get one dive on a batt now instead of two.

We'll see!

---
Ken

Now that L & M has lowered their price (end of year sale), I bet they sell quite a few more housings.

The original price (with some ports) made the Subals and SeaCam's higher value options - and as you know those rigs were not exactly cheap.

I loved my Tetra 5050 from L & M, so I expect you will love your new housing. Once your feel the ease of better ergonomics UW you will never go back to an IKE housing.

I'm still using a L&M D100 housing. I would love to upgrade to the L&M D200 housing. Looks sweet!

I wrote up a whole list on the way back from the dive contrasting the two rigs and cataloging the differences.

It was very different shooting this rig over the Ike.

---
Ken

Would love to see your lists as well as your thoughts on using the new LM system and things to do or not do, tips, tricks, etc. I just picked up the below system and will get a chance to use it for the first time in Honduras over Christmas and then the Galapagos in the New Year.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Sea & Sea YS-250Pro TTL
Sea & Sea Nikonos Style Sync Cord
ULCS Strobe Arm Set for SLR Housings
Pelican 1610 w/Padded Dividers and Wheeled
LMI Titan Package Sale (Hsng, Dome, Macro, 2 Gears)
Light & Motion Titan Extension Ring 1 lmi.854.0137
Light & Motion Titan 10" Fisheye Dome Port

And I am planning on shooting these two lenses (Thoughts?)

Nikon 10.5mm 2.8G EDIF Fisheye DX Lens
Nikon 105mm f/2.8 G-AFS ED IF VR MICRO Lens

Back
Top Bottom