10w slimline battery failure.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meister481

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I bought a 10w Dive rite cannister light back in march, I've done maybe 30 dives with it, but my last trip to cave country it died a very untimely death. It was in inadvertently turned on while we were eating lunch and it refuses to charge up. Lost cause or is there a secret to coaxing it back to life?

Is it the battery or the bulb or ballast? Canister lights need to be in water when they're on otherwise they overheat. What exactly is going on with it that makes you think it's the battery?

I replaced the battery and it worked like a champ, did a 30 minute dive with another battery. Dive Rite Express has a battery info page that states the batteries are damaged beyond repair when discharged fully.......160 bucks out the window.

What is the battery voltage? What do the charger lights indicate when hooked up? Does the charger attempt to charge the battery. It may be a very slow process of charge and discharge and recharge until the battery is cycled up again.

Jerry

I would try KVdiver's suggestion. I haven't had to do this, but I've heard of it working. It may or may not work with your battery, but it's worth a shot.

The manufacturer contacted me and has asked to have the product sent to them for evaluation. Top Notch!

I sold about $2000 worth of Dive Rite gear to a student today, so maybe Karma will help me out!

I'm not getting my hopes up, it was my mistake after all.

Already tried to cycle the battery to bring it back, it will not take a charge in any way.

J

hope you've saved the battery!

i'd had experience with LI-ON batteries and special chargers when the voltage on the battery voltage got too low.

i would assume the same thing is possible on NI-MH batteries... find a DC adapter plug that puts voltage out at least 11.0 volts and attach it to the battery... cut the end off the adapter plug and put the ends into the dive-rite battery leads... only leave it on for minutes at a time, and use a digital voltometer... when you get to 11.0 volts, try plugging in the battery to the dive-rite charger! DO NOT LEAVE THE BATTERY UNATTENDED!!!

on my li-on batteries, it works! these are really expensive batteries for model planes! the chargers have chips set for minimum voltages... the best thing to do is not drop the voltage on the battery and charge it after every use, but that's not always practical!

good luck!

--c

Same thing happened to me which resulted in a total discharge. I charged the battery back up and it seemed to work fine hoever, I have not tested the burn time. My question is it a given this will fry the battery a 100% of the time or did I get lucky. I still need to test burn time but was curious will total discharge always result in battery damage or is it likely to occur but not always type thing. Thanks for your thoughts.

when you think of it, doesn't really matter... if you have one battery that will only last for a couple of dives... use it, charge it.... i have batteries that are suppose to burn for 8 hours. i don't remember the last time i was underwater for that long. LOL.

those rules about charging, discharging, storage and the like are, for the most part hard to keep track of and follow. using the light is more important than the battery life, in the long run... imho...

i think some of the lights shut off at certain voltages, too... so, it really isn't a full drain, just less than will operate the light.

--c

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom