Camera case/ bag recomendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IceBergSlim

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am not heavily into video work but I did buy a Ikelite housing, lights and video camera.

Any advice on the best way to store and protect them during car or plane trips?

I assume some kind of Pelikan case for the airplane but the housing is pretty huge. That would be a big case I imagine.

Most boats discourage that kind of bulk so for day trips would I need a soft or semi-soft solution?

Many thanks.

I would stay away from the Pelikan case. For one reason it screams underwater photographt equipment. You don't want to draw undue attention to it when traveling. Also, some of the airlines have classified a Pelikan case as a box. This subjects it to travel resrictions, and in some cases bans from certain destinations.

I would go with a carry on type bag like a Kata. They are carry on size and made for photography equipment. They also look like a regular carry on bag. That's what I use when I fly with my housing.

For the boat we use soft sided coolers. They are collapsible, and they provide protection for the equipment on the boat. We have the crew put our housings into our coolers as opposed to the on boat rinse tank. This way they are not being bumped around by other housings.

I use a Tenba Medium Shootout backpack for most international travel. In it I can carry:
S&S DX200 housing w/D200 camera
4 lenses
Flat Port
two YS-90DX Strobes
TTL converter
Strobe Arms (ULCS)
Laptop

I check or my wife carries on my 9" dome port protected by 2 aluminum cake tins

for domestic travel I use a bright yellow Storm Case the same size as the Pelican 1620. In it I can pack my whole kit plus several more lenses. ( reccomend the Storm over the Pelican as it it almose 10lbs lighter meaning more weight allowance for actual gear)

I have never had a problem checking my storm for domestic travel, but am afraid to use it internationally because of theft.

Take care,
John

Back
Top Bottom