So what happens when the housing floods?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, you stay on your stop and just try to see the humor, although the heroics do pass through your mind as options. Try and find someone to blame as a temporary coping mechanism, but keep it to yourself.

Revert to insurance folder and just implement the steps you should have predetermined and laid out for your sad self.

take a picture of the tragedy.

Count your other blessings.

Investigate the cause, come up with what probably happened and change your practice if appropriate. (I found out my expansion ring was the wrong one, for example)

get enthused about your new upgrades.

Depends on what kind of camera you have. If you can settle for a simple P&S, olympus makes a camera waterproof to 10M. You could house it and not worry. Insurance is your only other option.

So what happens when the housing floods?

well, there is this Hopi dry dance (sort of the antipodal rain dance) that may work

unfortunately, it requires live rattlesnakes

btw, Rorschach rules ... i meant to mention that before

"I am not in here locked up with you. You're in here locked up with me"

Some people favor little alarms that go in your housing and tell you if there's moisture. That way, if it's just a few drops, you might catch it in time to return to the surface-especially since most floods are going to start near the surface, where there's little pressure on the housing to seal the o-ring. If the camera gets bumped, it might let a few drops in.
Another solution is CAREFULLY inspect the o-ring and mating surface in bright light for hairs, sand and other contaminants before every dive and make sure nothing (like the little string for the lens cap, or the dessicant pack) sticks out where it will get closed up in the o-ring.

Some people favor little alarms that go in your housing and tell you if there's moisture. That way, if it's just a few drops, you might catch it in time to return to the surface-especially since most floods are going to start near the surface, where there's little pressure on the housing to seal the o-ring. If the camera gets bumped, it might let a few drops in.
Another solution is CAREFULLY inspect the o-ring and mating surface in bright light for hairs, sand and other contaminants before every dive and make sure nothing (like the little string for the lens cap, or the dessicant pack) sticks out where it will get closed up in the o-ring.

I have seen a camera recovery from a little salt water in the case...as long as there is something in the bottom to hold the water and you keep the camera level... the complete flood.... that would be camera death.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom