Is This Bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkatchalov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Ok, I've got an Apek ATX50 first and second stage. Plus a cressi octo.

When the reg is disconnected from the tank, dust cap on the first stage, etc. I can draw some small breaths from the ATX50 (very hard, but still possible) second stage. I was under the impression this is not possible/should not be possible when the reg is disconnected.

Just for comparison, I can not draw any breaths from the octo when it is disconnected.

I was under the impression that being able to breath from the second stage (even small, tough breaths) is bad and means the reg needs service. Is this true? This is a brand new reg with just 2 dives on it!

Thanks.

When the reg is disconnected from the tank, dust cap on the first stage, etc. I can draw some small breaths from the ATX50 (very hard, but still possible) second stage. I was under the impression this is not possible/should not be possible when the reg is disconnected.

Just for comparison, I can not draw any breaths from the octo when it is disconnected.

I was under the impression that being able to breath from the second stage (even small, tough breaths) is bad and means the reg needs service. Is this true? This is a brand new reg with just 2 dives on it!

Thanks.

Try swapping out dustcaps. One may have an o-ring seal that truly prevents water and gas from moving. Not sure why you are doing this test in the first place, but if I suspected a freeflow/defect etc. I would hook it up to a tank and put it in the tub for a quick check. Additionally, the exhaust valve on second stage may move a tad if you really suck on it super hard. My particular Apeks is always a tad wet in the second stage. Someday, I'll replace it.

X

This generally indicates a leak. You may want to also open the second stage and make sure there is no debris trapped under the diaphram. Also check the exhaust diapram as a poor seal will cause leakage. Even a speck of sand can cause a small leak so wipe off the diaphram and recheck. A small tear or pinhole in the diapram will cause this as well. I would not suspect that with a new reg of course.

Thanks.

First check to see if the mouthpiece is sealing properly....if ok...

If you are drawing really hard on it you are probably just causing the exhaust valves to implode just enough to allow air to come in. Try a breath just hard enough to retract the diaphragm and hold it. Does it hold vacuum? If not, then as pointed out above, you may need to open it up and examine the exhaust valve, diaphragm or body which may have cracks or if there are any o-rings that seal the hose fittings or adjustment knobs.

Drawing a severe vacuum through the mouthpiece is a very poor way to test the "watertight integrity" of a second stage air box. It will catch a broken or clogged exhaust valve, but it cannot tell you anything else. A sharp breath on a disconnected regulator can seal leaks that are actually present at "working" vacuum levels and can appear to present leaks that would never occur during normal use.

Also, please take note that the manufacturers ALL call the little cap a "dust" cap. Most are not designed to completely seal the first stange inlet port, but do provide adequate protection against the small amount of water that might enter during cleaning.

Phil Ellis

Ok, thanks for all the replies. So basically, if I can draw some very tough breaths from the reg, its bad and I should get it looked at?

This is a brand new reg and I only have two dives on it, hence Im very surprised if something is wrong. Plus I cant draw any air from the octo, which lead me to believe it is not the first stage that is the problem.

Phil described it well. Suck back on it a bit, not too much. It should not leak. Sucking too hard may deform a mushroom valve, etc. and cause an air leak. I would be more concerned itf your reg breathed wet. I don't expect a problem from your first stage unless your hose is not screwed in tight, damaged or missing o-ring, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom