Should I change my reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jose18

Registered
Reaction score
HI guys again I would like to ask help by giving your opinion.

I have a scubapro d400 with a mk15 first stage, a new r190 octo, and a mission 2d mares console good reg no complaints been with me for a while and in pretty good condition.

But I saw a cyklon 5000 poseidon, I really dont know much about it except it would be impossible to break it, and what I really like about it is it might be the last reg I ever buy. And to be honest fell in love with its looks.It seems everyone loves it. My only concern is the fact that in its younger brother people find that it delivers too much air in lower depths is it the same with the cyklon, and it can be pretty irritating.

Well i guess my worry is, would I be actually "upgrading" if I buy a poseidon or is my reg better. I don't want to get poseidon fans mad I just don't know, I have never used one or have a chance to use one. Dont know anyone with a cyklon nor do shops in manila rent out poseidons. Anyway any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

Got some extra money burning your pockets, huh? If you want to buy a reg for it's looks that's fine but I see nothing wrong with the one you have now.

Got some extra money burning your pockets, huh? If you want to buy a reg for it's looks that's fine but I see nothing wrong with the one you have now.

That pretty much covers it. If you have money and want to spend it, buy whatever you want.

If you want a warm feeling inside, find someone who wants to dive, but can't afford it, have your old regs serviced, box them up and and give him/her a Christmas (or other holiday of your choice) present.

Terry

Both of those regulators are top performers. I would not consider going to the Cyklon an upgrade, but an even trade.

I don’t own a Cyklon 5000, but I have own several Cyklon 300. They are the same second stage as the Cyklon 5000 metal.

The Poseidon could have two disadvantages:
1) Service and parts are harder to obtain in many areas and it could be more expensive to have it serviced. Servicing a Cyklon can be a bit trickier and therefore many shops will not touch them.
2) The intermediate pressure in that regulator is higher than most if not all other regulator. This means that you may be limited on what octopus to use. You may have to use a Poseidon or perhaps a balanced second stage tuned for the higher pressures.

Personally I do like the Poseidon Cyklon second stage. I like the side exhaust and the fact that it has no right or left hand. I also really like the way it looks. But, don’t expect the Cyklon to perform better that a D400, it will not (unless the D400 needs service). I also like the performance and looks of the D400. My wife dives with a D400.

The only complain I could mention about the D400 is the exhaust bubbles, but then I have been diving a double hose for the last few years so in general the exhaust on all single hose regulators is in the way, but the D400 seems to be a bit worse than other.

Added:
The bottom line is that I have to agree with the two previous posts.

Thanks guys. I had a feeling that the answers would be along those lines. In fact I can't complain about what I have its actually pretty good. Just wanted to see what you guys think. So i guess no to buying a new reg. Thanks for the advice, saved me a lot of money. Thanks again.

The MK 15 D400 is an awful reg in that it will ruin a diver in terms of ever being satisfied with most other regs.

I am however a wonderfully nice guy just brimming with self sacrifice and I am consequently willing to take one for the team, so please send it to me immediately so that I can keep in my secure storage facilty along with several other Mk 10, Mk 15 and Mk 20 D400 combinations that I am protecting the rest of the world from.

I have read quite a few threads about the cyklon on scubaboard before, and found that many people do not like it. It does have a sexy design and everybody agree that they are good regs. But the parts can be very difficult to find should something break, especially if you travel... maintenance is more costly and the air pressure is higher than any reg. which take some used to.

The MK 15 D400 is an awful reg in that it will ruin a diver in terms of ever being satisfied with most other regs.

I am however a wonderfully nice guy just brimming with self sacrifice and I am consequently willing to take one for the team, so please send it to me immediately so that I can keep in my secure storage facilty along with several other Mk 10, Mk 15 and Mk 20 D400 combinations that I am protecting the rest of the world from.

Thank you for your concern:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom