P&S Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warthaug

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
So it may finally be time for a new camera system. Unfortunately, a dSLR is out of reach, both financially as well as for my other hobbies (I need something smaller and more portable). As such I've been looking at putting together a "prosumer" camera set, perhaps something along the lines of a Canon G9.

I was wondering if anyone's put together a rig like this recently, and if so had any recommendations in regards to camera options, housings and whatnot.

Thanx in advance

Bryan

My $0.02 worth.

The Nikon Coolpix P5100 or the Canon G9
Ikelite housing
with an Ikelite strobe. Either the DS51 (which is good for macro), or the DS125. If you go with the Ikelite strobe you can use the electronic connection, and will get ttl. Other wise your choices of strobe are the INON D2000, or the INON Z240. The D2000 only has an optical connection, whereas the Z240 has both optical and electronic connections and can grow with you if you decide to do DSLR down the road.

The G9 in an Ike housing with either a DS51 or DS125 is definitely an excellent way to go. Still fairly compact (compared to DSLR) and reasonably priced (if such a thing is possible in this industry).

The G9 in an Ike housing with either a DS51 or DS125 is definitely an excellent way to go. Still fairly compact (compared to DSLR) and reasonably priced (if such a thing is possible in this industry).

Ain't that the truth. :rofl3:

When will it end.

By the way, want to buy some used film cameras? :rofl3:

Thanks for the advice. I'll admit I'm a little biased towards Canon's G-line; I've been running a G3 for years and wouldn't be replacing it had I not dropped it down a flight of stairs. Hands down the most versatile P&S camera I've owned - nearly as capable as my old (film) SLR.

Bryan

Somewhat related question:

In browsing the ikelite housings I've notices that they have an external wide-field
lens you can add onto most of their housings. However, using the lens requires that the normal port be replaced with a flat port. This brings up 2-ish questions who's answers do not appear on ikelite's webpage:

1) Will the camera's built-in macro function work through the wide-field lens?

2) If #1 is "no", is the widefield lens removable/replaceable underwater so I can switch to macro?

3) If the answer to 2 is "yes" will the flat port result in significant warping of the macro image?

Thanx again for the input!

Bryan

Somewhat related question:

In browsing the ikelite housings I've notices that they have an external wide-field
lens you can add onto most of their housings. However, using the lens requires that the normal port be replaced with a flat port. This brings up 2-ish questions who's answers do not appear on ikelite's webpage:

1) Will the camera's built-in macro function work through the wide-field lens?

2) If #1 is "no", is the widefield lens removable/replaceable underwater so I can switch to macro?

3) If the answer to 2 is "yes" will the flat port result in significant warping of the macro image?

Thanx again for the input!

Bryan

You should not zoom while using a w/a lens. It will not work well. Another way to go is an external lens adapter and INON wet lenses.

Does anyone know if you mount an Inon wet lens onto a threaded P&S camera (Canon A570is) without the underwater housing? I'm wondering if I can use the UWL-105AD as a fish-eye lens while topside during trips.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom