Reef Report From Taveuni, Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello Divers,

For those seeking information on the condition of the reefs and Garden Island Resort in Fiji, here is my correspondence with Brandon, dive master with AquaTrek:

Bula!

My best wishes to you and everyone in Fiji in the aftermath of Cyclone Ami! I've been following events very closely, as I'm scheduled for a visit in late April. IN all the information I've found on the internet, I have not found any word on the condition of the reefs in the Somosomo Strait. I've just spoken with your AquaTrek representative in the U.S. and she recommended I email you for more information.
I understand that the Garden Island Resort "house reef'" has suffered some damage. I would have been shocked if it hadn't and that would not alter my plans for a visit. However, if some of the famous sites in the straits have suffered significant damage, this would cause some concern. I'd expect some corals to have been affected at shallower depths, but if there's significant damage to the soft corals at, say the Great WHite Wall at its 60-ft depth, or Annie's Bommie at shallower depths, this would be unfortunate.
Can you advise as to what you've seen so far? I'd really appreciate it. And, again, the most important thing in my mind is the health and safety of all concerned on Taveuni and the surrounding islands. As a Florida resident, I know the score! Look forward to diving with you in April...

Thanks very much,
''Peter J'' Maerz

Bula Peter
Thank you, for your questions. Yes, we have been hit by cyclone Ami. She has damaged the land side of the island the most. We are fortunate, that the Somosomo straits are some what protective in their design. Yes, we have found about 3 sites so far out of about 15 sites that we have dived since the cyclone. We have about 25 in total. Yes, some of our shallows are showing some signs of damage, while others none. The great white wall is fine. Sites with lots of hard coral show more damage.
The coral reef directly in front of our resort, very shallow and consisting entirely of hard coral has been destroyed. This was our snorkeling site. The gardens probably the greatest signs of damage. Even though the gardening crews are working on it this moment, we have trees with no leaves and there is nothing we can do about this till the season changes. We are fully operation at the resort, offering all services as usual, including tours.
I hope you find this information to your liking and helps you in making your decision. We look forward to meeting you and showing you our magical, if not some what hammered, island.
Regards
Brandon Paige
Director of Dive Operations
Garden Island Resort<>Aquatrek Taveuni
P.O. Box1, Waiyevo, Taveuni, Fiji Islands.
PH:679-888 0286 FAX:679-888 0288
Web Site: www.aquatrek.com

Hope this provides some info for those concerned. BTW, I've decided to go ahead and book my trip. I really appreciate Brandon's honesty and, from what he writes, the best of the Somosomo Straits diving seems to be intact.

Best to all...

Back
Top Bottom