Advantages of Wrist Mount Computer vs Console

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dxtreme

Reaction score
A lot of you guys adviced me to buy a wrist mount computer vs. Console computer.

Can you share your experience on this issue ?? Pros vs. Cons ??

I wanted an AI computer coz i like the niftty techno geeky info and if i would to buy a wrsit it has to be wireless ( $$$$ !! ) :eek:

Also what is the advantage of having the compass on your wrist vs on the console.

Is this a DIR - non DIR thing ??

Used to keep my computer on my console, but now have it on my wrist.

When I'm swimming horizontally (as I almost always do), I need only push out my arms ahead to check computer and compass, while remaining underway.

Compare that to having to stop, look down, pull the combo up, check it, stow it, look up, and get underway again.

When ascending horizontally, I'm able to monitor my computer without changing my trim (and consequently my buoyancy) at all. This can be duplicated with a console, but it requires some practice at first.

Not to mention that it's so much easier to navigate with the compass on the wrist.

what metridium said :thumb:

If you really want air integration, you can just buy the computer now and get the transmitter later.

A few things I forgot:

AI vs. non-AI - I avoided AI because of the huge cost difference. My two wrist computers together were only half of the AI price at the time.

DIR vs. non-DIR - I'm not DIR, though my gear is similar.

Wrist straps - I recently customized mine by snipping them and replacing with bungee loops. It makes donning/doffing the computer and compass so much easier with thick gloves and/or cold hands.

I posted some details on that in the Useful Knots thread.

easier to find and read than console-mounted.

The bungee loops are a big improvement over the straps...

Simple is better.

..I really have to differ. This question was posted a lot last summer, so everytime I went out I checked my cosole to see it was working for me. I have the Pivot 2 consol, so I have my compass, SPG and computer all together. I also have it routed over my shoulder and on a retractor. If I need to look at something, its a simple matter of reaching down and extending my arm out like you would with a wrist mount. The advantages are...
1: all instruments are together (so I dont forget or lose anything)
2: there are absolutley no danglies
3: there is no need to stop or to look down or stow it
4: I can align my compass directly in front of me for navigation

As fo disadvantages, I can't think of any off hand.
Randy...

With my computer on my right wrist I can check depth easily when my left hand is controling buoyancy. My presure gauge is on a short hose and is routed streight down my side and is clipped to my waist d-ring. I can monitor depth and time as needed without an extra movement.

I dojn't like retractors for anything.

Hi

Its so much easier controlling your ascent with a wrist mounted computer.

If you're ascending a shot line in a current you hold on with your computer mounted right hand and dump your drysuit or BC with your left. Not so easy with a console.

Even without a current its much easier to glance at your wrist for dive details no stop time ascent rate etc. than to locate and read your console especially if you have to unclip and restow it.

Kindest Regards

WL

Point taken....but I try not to use my computer to tell me my ascent rate (they say computers rot the brain..:) so it's not an issue for me....neither is having to stow or re-clip the console.
Randy...

Feel free to exchange the terms computer, depth gauge and bottom timer. You can use a computer as a bottom timmer but you can't use a console mounted as a wrist mounted. What is it about the end of a high presure hose that would lead us to believe that's the place for a depth gauge or bottom timmer? True they are all gauges but they are not used for the same thing at the same time.

Back
Top Bottom