Tekna Problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dlent

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a Tekna that I bought used. The previous owner said it was working until he took it apart. I applied current to the motor directly from the battery and the motor seems to work good. I'm assuming either the Reed switch or the relay is not working. When you press the trigger, the motor does not spin. Also, if you press the trigger for the light, that doesn't work either. How does one go about testing the reed switches and the relay?

PM Nemrod. He is the resident Tekna scooter expert.

This site may also be useful:

DPV Repair

I answered your PM but it is hard to trouble shoot such things via internet. One thing I did not mention is do not confuse the relay power wires with the motor power wires. Put 12 to 24 volts across the relay power wires and you should see your meter indicate voltage to the motor power wires--disconnect the motor power wires from the motor for this test.

Do not operate motor out of water. Keep fingles out of prop. Operating the motor out of the water can damage the seals and cause the shaft assembly to leak. The manual says no more than 10 seconds.

I mentioned and I will again, it is probably best to disconnect the light and dual the switches to the motor. The light is a known issue with igniting hydrogen gas in the housing--kaboom! Yeah, yeah, I still have my light connected but the one I sold I disconnected for their safety.

Look up at the charging jack, make sure there is a phenolic isolator from the diode to the metal bracket---you do not want a short here. The purpose of that diode as I understand it is to prevent sparking when the charger is connected causing yet another potential hydrogen explosion.

Relays can go bad but somehow I doubt it.

edit to clarify.

N

Thanks Tony! I'm going to Fort Lauderdale this Friday, so I'll contact you as soon as I get back.

Back
Top Bottom