Scubapro: "free service parts" & used?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gombessa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If you buy a Scubapro reg used, do you still qualify for the lifetime-free-parts on annual service? If so, when you bring it in for service each year, do you have to show a document trail going back to when the unit was first purchased from an authorized dealer?

If you buy a Scubapro reg used, do you still qualify for the lifetime-free-parts on annual service? If so, when you bring it in for service each year, do you have to show a document trail going back to when the unit was first purchased from an authorized dealer?

No warranty, no free parts.

No warranty, no free parts.

And no unnecessary annual service charges. Just a good regulator at what hopefully was a great price.

The free parts for life and warranty coverage are for the original owner only.

You need to show original purchase from an authorized SP dealer or yu need to show your copy of the annual service from the last service by an SP dealer. In the event that service was more than a year or so ago, you do not qualify for free parts that year, but after paying for parts that year, you are back in good standing for the next annual service.

The annual service requirement absolutely stinks! I'm finding myself in this boat.

My LDS failed to emphasize the annual service requirement and now I'm hosed on the warranty. Yeah, sure with a wink and a nod I can get it back after paying for parts, but this is stupid!!

Now I'm forced to pay $80 a year ($20 per stage and $20 for the BC) for my MK25/S600, KnightHawk BC with Air2.

So, I pay almost a grand for the equipment and $80 a year to maintain it.

Thanks Scuba Pro

Just got my scubapro G500/MK20 and air 2 serviced and back today. I had them serviced last year after a 3-4 year hiatus due to college. Last year it cost me $115 to get them all serviced. I showed them my scubapro cards that came with the equipment but since it was over a year I had to pay for the parts. Since I went diving last year and now I have the time, I had them serviced again this year (1 year) and now it's only $60 to cover the rebuilding cost the LDS charges, the parts were free.

Personally i'd rather pay $60-$120 if my life depends on it working...which when 130' underwater it does! It pays to get them checked every year I think and I personally just feel better diving knowing the parts have been replaced and checked recently. However, to each his/her own.

Personally i'd rather pay $60-$120 if my life depends on it working...which when 130' underwater it does! It pays to get them checked every year I think and I personally just feel better diving knowing the parts have been replaced and checked recently. However, to each his/her own.

I always find this subject most interesting. If it just makes you feel good to have your regs serviced annually and you want to maintain the warrenty and its benefits, then go ahead and feel good.

But how do you figure that annual service is a life saver? Exactly what life threatening failure modes do you figure that service is preventing. And what makes you think that the servixce itself can not cause or lead to a catestrophic failure? Have you ever dug aound on this board and read the thankfully very few reports of catestrophic regulator failures and their causes?

Finally, are you sure an annual inspection is enough. I inspect my regs before every trip or at least a couple times a year. This keeps even most minor problems from spoilling a good dive.

And there you have it, every dive shop owner's dream. "I'll pay because my life is worth it."

Of course, it's not actually based in reality, but I understand the sentiment. You want to make sure it's going to work and you think havng the dive shop service it every year will ensure that.

I go both ways on the issue.

Regs are for the most part simple and usually trouble free and most failures are of the slow leak variety and occasionally an undertrained tech is in fact the biggest maintence threat you face.

But, service needs differ as while a little used and well stored and maintained reg may do just fine after 3-4 years wthout service, I have seen regs serviced 3-4 months ago that stopped working due to being flooded in a rinse bucket on the last dive trip.

And finally, this weekend, 1000' back in a cave, 90 feet deep and on a deco dive to boot, I really appreciated being able to be fully confident about the maintenence status of my regs as despite having two of them, it was still not a situation where I wanted to have to deal with a reg failure.

So it depends on you, it depends on your diving, it depnds on your shop and it depends on the type of diving you do. But if there was any doubt at all, I'd have them serviced annually and not sweat the cost. Compared to the other expenses of diving over the course of a year the annual service cost is cheap even if you pay for the parts.

I always find this subject most interesting. If it just makes you feel good to have your regs serviced annually and you want to maintain the warrenty and its benefits, then go ahead and feel good.

But how do you figure that annual service is a life saver? Exactly what life threatening failure modes do you figure that service is preventing. And what makes you think that the servixce itself can not cause or lead to a catestrophic failure? Have you ever dug aound on this board and read the thankfully very few reports of catestrophic regulator failures and their causes?

Finally, are you sure an annual inspection is enough. I inspect my regs before every trip or at least a couple times a year. This keeps even most minor problems from spoilling a good dive.

As usual Awap hits the nail on the head. Ultimately, it is up to the OWNER and USER to make sure his/her equipment is diveworthy. Yes, it is life support equiment. But it is YOUR life, not the dive shop monkey's. Here is a link to a thread on anual dis-service.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/216828-regulator-service-frequency.html#post3318614

Back
Top Bottom