Mares Proton 42 She Dives vs Atomic Z1 regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geller22

Reaction score
My wife is a newly recertified open water diver and I am interested in getting her some equiptment. Can anyone help me out with suggestions on either the Mares She Dives or the Z1 regulator?

I saw a used Z1 and a new Mares She Dives.

What exactly do you want to know geller? Be more specific...

I think those are both good regs (as long as the used atomic is checked out and works properly). The she dive collection does add an extra attraction aspect for women divers (it's one nice looking reg). I also believe the Mares is a bit lighter (correct me if I'm wrong anyone:D), but that probably isn't even noticeable.

What can you get easily serviced near you? That would be important to consider.

Anyways, more details on what you (or she) is looking for would help.:coffee:

Plus if you get the Mares Proton 42 "she dives" she will get a complimentary she dives regulator bag to protect her lovely new reg. :)

happy shopping,

Another thing to consider is the 'parts for life' program that I get with my Mares regs. When I have them serviced annually at my LDS (an authorized Mares dealer), the annual service kits are free. Although I still pay for the labour costs, the savings (particularly over the long life of a well built reg) is significant.

Just my two cents...Cheers!

Atomic changed the Z1 in about 2005. Check the serial number on the Z1 you are looking at call Atomic. They will tell you. It is my understanding that the updated Z1 is almost identical to the Z2.

Having said that, I have used top of the line Mares, Oceanic and my Z2. Without a doubt, go with the Atomic!

Both regs are good regs - The Z1 has been updated with the new piston and is now the Z2. Z1s can be updated with normal maintenance become a Z2. If a used Z1 I would want it to be been updated with the new piston otherwise I would pass.

I have dove both, well not the MR42 but the MR32 which is similar. The Z2 breaths a bit easier. However, I still use MR12 for deco bottles. Both are very robust regs.

Personally I think the best thing would be to wet test each in a pool. May not be possible.

My only complaint is that the Mares 2nd stages such as the Abyss have (perhaps used to) a retention ring which is a PITA to remove. You do not need to do it very often but I typically take the 2nd stage purge cover off when rinsing to get any sand out. I hated my Abyss because of this. The Protons do not have this feature.

Both regs are good regs - The Z1 has been updated with the new piston and is now the Z2. Z1s can be updated with normal maintenance become a Z2. If a used Z1 I would want it to be been updated with the new piston otherwise I would pass.

I have dove both, well not the MR42 but the MR32 which is similar. The Z2 breaths a bit easier. However, I still use MR12 for deco bottles. Both are very robust regs.

Personally I think the best thing would be to wet test each in a pool. May not be possible.

My only complaint is that the Mares 2nd stages such as the Abyss have (perhaps used to) a retention ring which is a PITA to remove. You do not need to do it very often but I typically take the 2nd stage purge cover off when rinsing to get any sand out. I hated my Abyss because of this. The Protons do not have this feature.

The new abyss 2008 2nd stage still has the retaining ring you are referring to. However it has a new port on the side that can be unscrewed for easier access to the internal space and parts of the 2nd stage.

All Proton 2nd stages have a pin that can be pulled with a fingernail or dental pick, which allows the cover to unscrew. This allows easy access for cleaning or adjusting.

The 42 is not the same as the 32. Not just dimensionally but also from a performance perspective, it is better.

Best,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom