Aladin v Suunto

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Im considering buying my first dive computer but can not decide which one, I have narrowed it down to the Alading Pro Ultra and the Suunto Vyper. But can not decide which one to choose. I have been diving for about 2years now and would not like to grow out of the computer quickly, and have to go and spend another small fortune.
Any advice on which one to choose or a better model would be much appreciated!
cheers

Jon Hardman

They are equally good. The Vyper is somewhat more conservative and has user replacable batteries. However, batteries in the Aladin's last a really long time. My nearly 5 year old Aladin reads 67% battery capacity with over 260 dives on it. I think the Aladin display is easier to read as it has large numbers. Both wrist mount nicely.

this isn't an advertisement, but since I do have a lot to do with them, I'll point this out to you. If you want/plan on downloading your dive info from your computer to your PC then you have more options with the suunto. You can get an interface made by someone or you can make it yourself from widely available plans for much cheaper. The downside to the aladin (even though you can make an interface for them) is that you most likely won't be able to download your dive info to any windows software unless you buy the uwatec interface or "memomouse'' which means you'll be spending a lot more $$$. Money or even the ability to download your dive info may not be of any importance to you, but if it is you may consider the suunto more closely. Also, I've played around with both the uwatec and suunto software and in my opinion, the suunto software is much better and easier (for me) to use. Make a list of exactly what you want in a dive computer (if you know at this point) and see which one best fits your needs. Don't be set on one aspect of the computer as a deciding factor however. Size, color, display size aren't the real important factors. Well, if you have really bad eye site, the display size might but a better solution is corrective lens'. There are thousands and thousands of people, including me, that don't think twice about whether or not the suunto display is large enough because we are quite happy with it. My eye site isn't great at all, but even without corrective lens (while diving) I don't have any trouble with the suunto cobra display. My best advice, just look at the whole picture and what fits your needs overall the best in deciding. They are both great and before I got my cobra, I was dieing to get an aladin pro. In the end, I made the best decision for me. Now its your turn... good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom