Oxygen exciters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

roguetrip74

Reaction score
Hello,

Have one question, two actually. In reference to Nitrox diving,

1. Why are decongestants (e.g. Sudaphed) considered oxygen exciters?:confused:
2. Where can I find reference material for it?:lam:

Hope you dive gurus can help.

Cheers,

Never heard the term oxygen exciters. Maybe it means stimulant, which Pseudophedrine is. A stimulant will cause you to use more oxygen because it increases your heart rate and also stimulates neurologic function. Your brain and every cell in your body needs to things to function, glucose and oxygen. Stimulate it to work faster and it'll need more glucose and oxygen/ The website should have ALL information in it. Look for an online drug reference book as well. Your local pharmacist should have detailed information about everything.

Hello,

Have one question, two actually. In reference to Nitrox diving,

1. Why are decongestants (e.g. Sudaphed) considered oxygen exciters?:confused:
2. Where can I find reference material for it?:lam:

Hope you dive gurus can help.

Cheers,

Sorry what I meant was
1. Why are decongestants (e.g. Sudaphed) considered CNS exciters? Why does taking pseudophedrines predispose you to CNS toxicity?:confused:

A lot of the cold medications will increase your heart rate, your blood pressure, and neuron firings in the brain. I don't know the exact reasoning for this and it may be a ridiculously long post if I did. The xecited body will breath faster and cycle blood faster. This will increase the rate of nitrogen loading in the body.

I don't know if the DAN site will provide more on this or not. WebMD might have something as well. I don't know how much of a risk this will really pose. I think the bigger concern would be that you took a decongestant, it worked, but underwater it stopped working and you become congested again. This could cause clearing issues and a lot of pain when surfacing.

Back
Top Bottom