No JAX in USA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds tasty! I am always up for a new brew. That said, my sneaking suspicions is that the dentist guild doesn't allow the JAX for some reason.

Eisande, just in case you didn't know, you can use a Seacure II moldable mouthpiece on newer Mares regs... It seems quite similar to the Jax and most users seem to like it. I just got one for my Proton, but haven't had time to install it yet.

Hope this helps!:coffee:

Eisande,

The simple answer is Seacure has a patent in the US (where their primary distribution is). The cost for Jax to challenge this is to prohibitive although they feel they could win.

Regards,

Phil

Eisande,

The simple answer is Seacure has a patent in the US (where their primary distribution is). The cost for Jax to challenge this is to prohibitive although they feel they could win.

Regards,

Phil

That is interesting. What is patented, the actual method used to mold this type of mouthpiece?

Moldable regulator (and snorkel) mouthpieces have been around for over 30 years. I still have my molded Farallon mouthpieces (and snorkel) that I bough in the 70’s. It is kind of amazing that my byte has not changed.

Added:
If you look closely at the right avatar picture you can see the molded mouthpiece of the snorkel. The right picture is two years old the left one is about 35 years old…same snorkel and regulator (also same type of Fenzy flotation device and fins).

Luis,

I am not familiar with all of the details as I have not researched it. MARES is the distributor of JAX worldwide, but the information on this issue would come from JAX. Since there is this issue, I really have not put in the time to push it and JAX is not willing to make the challenge do to the cost.

Phil

Phil

If a patent was filed before June 8, 1995, the term of the patent is 17 years from the date of issuance. The seacure patent 5,031,611 "Customized scuba-diving mouthpiece and method of manufacture" was filed on July 17, 1989 and issued on July 16, 1991.

JAX should be able to sell in the United States next summer if they dont wish to challenge the patent earlier.

It looks like this patent would be fairly easy to challenge as invalid. Then again, it would be easier for JAX to wait a few months and not have to pay attorney fees and court fees to challenge.

Just my 2 psi.

Eisande, just for your info I isntalled my Seacure II mouthpiece last night... I discovered a few things... Boy am I stupid!!!!!!!:shakehead::shakehead::shakehead:

Why didn't I buy one of these before!!!!!!:dork2::dork2: The comfort is unbelievable compared to the original (which I liked before). I mean, it should be illegal to sell regulators without these!!!!:no I really had no idea before since I had only tried my girlfriends which wasn't molded to my teeth. I found it nice, but not great (not worth it to change). But you really have to try one molded to your teeth to appreciate the difference!!! It is amazing! Anyways... All this to say, if you don't have one... Get one!!!!! 25$ well spend in my oppinion!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom