Deal? Apeks ATX200

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dermochelys

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello, I'm new to diving (11 dives total) and have really enjoyed my experiences so I'm thinking of buying some more equipment to compliment what I've already got. A friend of mine has a Apeks ATX200 that she has only used a few times and is looking to sell it. My question is, should I be thinking about getting my own regulator setup so early into the hobby, or should I wait and see just how often I can go diving? I'm a bit inland right now, but hopefully I'll be moving back to the coast. Should I prioritize another piece of equipment, like a BC or wetsuit, before I buy a regulator? She got a fantastic deal on the Apeks, something like 50% off originally, so I'm sure I would be getting it at a pretty good deal for it, but we have not talked price yet. Any thoughts on this particular model, good, bad? What would a fair price be for a gently used one? She also has a Aeris GT 750 computer to sell, but my question on that is in the computer section, so if you want to chime in on that head over to that thread. Below is a list of the equipment I've already got and thank you for your thoughts.

-Mask
-Fins
-Snorkel
-Booties
-Dive Knife
-Timex Ironman (rated to 100m)

I use 2 of those regs on my doubles and have had them to 250' where they worked flawlessly. If you can pick it up for 50% of retail, I'd go for it.

In my opinion, it is one of the best regulators in the world. If you decide not to buy it (which I believe would be a mistake if you think you will continue to dive), I will buy it of her (for the right price of course)

Not many regulators better (if any) than an Apeks ATX 200.
We dive daily air/nitrox , deep and occassionaly shallow. Never a problem. Easy breathing.
Next hint - get in in a din, not a yoke. You will be forever grateful (never an o-ring problem). Safer connection.

A friend of mine has a Apeks ATX200 that she has only used a few times and is looking to sell it. ... should I be thinking about getting my own regulator setup so early into the hobby? ... Any thoughts on this particular model, good, bad? What would a fair price be for a gently used one?
As others have said, getting a good reg is seldom a bad idea, and the ATX200 is an excellent regulator. Like others, I have two that I dive on my doubles, and I love them. It would be more regulator than you need for shallow recreational diving if you were looking at new equipment, but a very good piece of equipment when available at the reasonable price. The ATX has been replaced by the XTX but they are essentially the same unit. New they retailed in the high $600 range if I recall, I bought mine new for $525 each which was the going discount price at the time. One (used) recently sold on eBay for $298. So, if the price is $300 or less, it is a good deal and you won't regret the purchase.

Hello, I'm new to diving (11 dives total) and have really enjoyed my experiences so I'm thinking of buying some more equipment to compliment what I've already got. A friend of mine has a Apeks ATX200 that she has only used a few times and is looking to sell it. My question is, should I be thinking about getting my own regulator setup so early into the hobby, or should I wait and see just how often I can go diving? I'm a bit inland right now, but hopefully I'll be moving back to the coast. Should I prioritize another piece of equipment, like a BC or wetsuit, before I buy a regulator? She got a fantastic deal on the Apeks, something like 50% off originally, so I'm sure I would be getting it at a pretty good deal for it, but we have not talked price yet. Any thoughts on this particular model, good, bad? What would a fair price be for a gently used one? She also has a Aeris GT 750 computer to sell, but my question on that is in the computer section, so if you want to chime in on that head over to that thread. Below is a list of the equipment I've already got and thank you for your thoughts.

-Mask
-Fins
-Snorkel
-Booties
-Dive Knife
-Timex Ironman (rated to 100m)

Great Reg. If its <= $300 and you later decide to sell if, you shouldn't have any problem recouping your investment.

I would pass on the GT 750....its an older model based upon older hoseless/wireless technology that was more prone to 'connection problems'. It does have a nice big display though!

As for order of 'major' equipment purchase, I normally suggest this order: wetsuit, BCD or BP/W, then reg/computer. By owning a wetsuit and BCD, you can more easily refine your buoyancy skills and trim by eliminating the variability associated with rental gear.

I have a pair of ATX 200's and love them. I would say jump on that deal. However, if you decide not to, please feel free to forward me the info & I'll happily purchase the reg.
Happy diving...

Thanks for the great info, it sounds like I really can't go wrong by getting this. I guess I'll have to talk with her about the price next. I'm just finishing up graduate school right now, so cash is a little low right now. If I get the reg. I'll post what I paid.

If you have more experiences with this regulator please feel free to continue posting the more info I have the better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom