Dacor Viper 1st Stage - Deal ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maverick69

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a chance to buy a new Dacor Viper 1st Stage for $50.00 .

Is this a good deal ? It is a post Mares buyout model.

Brent

It's not made any more MAV. :popcorn: My brother has a Viper 1st and 2nd, and honnestly, I didn't like the way it breathed. I find the Mares regs much much better. However, I did find the side exhaust kinda cool...

Anyways, don't expect too much in the long term as far as support goes. Is it worth it? That's up to you to decide! :coffee:

Good luck!

I have a chance to buy a new Dacor Viper 1st Stage for $50.00 .

Is this a good deal ? It is a post Mares buyout model.

Brent

Is is new from a dealer or new from a private individual?
I guess it really doesn't matter for $50 bucks.

Is it a good deal? All relative to what you want but prob ok.

You might want to check to see if parts are available for it as they aren't for some Dacor regulators. But for $50 bucks, if parts aren't available, it's almost disposable.

does it include the 2nd stage at all? (I just noticed you said first stage). Not sure if it's worth hassling with for just a first stage unless you've got a 2nd stage sitting around and want to hook it up as a Pony, etc.

No , its just a first stage. I have a Dacor Eagle first stage that is new as well, but hisses under pressure. The piston appears to be too short, at least that what my LDS says. Probably cost $50 to get that fixed .

No , its just a first stage. I have a Dacor Eagle first stage that is new as well, but hisses under pressure. The piston appears to be too short, at least that what my LDS says. Probably cost $50 to get that fixed .

What in blue blazes do they mean by "piston too short"..... unless someone has replaced it with a non OME part or it was a defective from the factory, it can't be "too short". Neither of which is likely, sounds like BS to me. Hissing means air is leaking from somewhere. My bet is its a bad O-ring, scratched O-ring seating surface or possibly a bad diaphram depending on the type of first stage and where it's leaking. Odds are a rebuild kit would fix it but that's going to be $50 by the time your done. If you decide to trash it, let me know. I'm always looking for problem regs to tinker with.

What in blue blazes do they mean by "piston too short"..... unless someone has replaced it with a non OME part or it was a defective from the factory, it can't be "too short". Neither of which is likely, sounds like BS to me. Hissing means air is leaking from somewhere. My bet is its a bad O-ring, scratched O-ring seating surface or possibly a bad diaphram depending on the type of first stage and where it's leaking. Odds are a rebuild kit would fix it but that's going to be $50 by the time your done. If you decide to trash it, let me know. I'm always looking for problem regs to tinker with.

Sorry, I ain't the expert. Thats what I was told. He told me the piston is supposed to seat inside the reg, but couldn't reach it. Hell I don't know.

I thought that the dacor viper 1st stage was a diaphragm, not a piston. Anyhow, if you buy it and need a dacor viper octo, I have in one excellent shape, recently serviced, with a spare rebuild kit.

Thanks, but I already have everything to go with it if I end up buying it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom