High prices for Old Gear!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seahunter

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
On a recent internet auction site, a 2 hose regulator from the late 50's was sold for $611US (about $1000CDN). This regulator sold originally for about $50. It was not even a particularly unique model other than having a plastic body. Other more rare models of these old beauties have sold for over $2500US.

My point is that vintage scuba gear is very hot now. I think it's great that divers are interested in the history of scuba gear. The old stuff is neat to look at, fun to use and getting very valuable.

I have a large collection of vintage scuba gear (that's anything more than 25 years old) including every 2 hose regulator sold in North America, dozens of BC's, gauges, masks, fins and snorkels, spearguns, knives, lights, cameras and a lot more. I have many textbooks, catalogues, service manuals, comics, books and magazines including every issue of SDM (#1 is probably worth $2000US). Of real interest is the collection of Sea Hunt memorabilia and the unusual stuff - games, kids scuba units, communicators, movie posters, etc. The list is endless. I would be happy to discuss the fad of collecting old scuba stuff and to share my knowledge with other collectors.

I have quite a bit for trade too so let me know what you think, what you have or what you're looking for.
Would anyone in the TO area be interested in joining me for a vintage scuba dive? It's a popular pastime among some of my friends in the US and a lot of fun. You'll never forget diving the Morrison using 50 year old 2 hose regulator!

ok alec!
I'll bite! LOL

I'm looking for aqua-lung calypso IV regulators (1st and 2nd)

I have a working healthways scuba-star for trade :wink:

BTW, I also am a major vintage scuba buff

Good to hear from you canuckdiver!
I suppose there is one problem with trying to trade with me. I have a lot of the most commons items already.

I don't know if a Calypos IV qualifies as a vintage regulator but I'm sure I have a couple. Why have you picked that specific model? I have several original model AquaLung Calypso regulators with the full metal exhaust tee and built-in pressure gauge on the first stage. They're a heck of a lot more interesting and genuine vintage collectors items. I'll look and send you a private message with pictures.

I have a new Healthways Scuba Star in the box with owners manual and service guide so I'm OK there. What else do you have?
Don't be afraid to mention even very small items. Sometimes the small weird stuff is the best! Do you have any knives, lights or weight belts?

The Scuba Star is a classic. Perhaps someone else has something to trade to you for it and then I'll trade a Calypso to you for that item. Hopefully this thread will get a lot of the vintage scuba collectors together. There are a lot out there.

well, I chose the calypso XIV because it was my first reg, it is sturdy as a tank, easy to service, and I still currently use it.

would be interested in any aqua-lung regs, conshelf or calypso from this era. :wink:

I don't have many little bits alec, you and I have previously gone over most of them :wink:

I have a lot of USD stuff from the 70's and later.
I'm getting a box together now to be organized and posted on eBay.
Call me at 1-800-324-3483 or private email me and I'll send you a list before I sell it.

An old steel 50 cf tank with a single hose regulator just sold for $600 on eBay.
I have lots of steel tanks from the 50's and 60's. They generally sell for $100.
I also have dozens of old single hose regs from the 60's in good working condition that are worth about $75 each.
What makes one regulator from the same date worth so much more than another?

What makes one regulator from the same date worth so much more than another?
Having the original factory box & paperwork and the reg still having talc on the hoses can quadruple the price.

Some models are harder to find than others.

Some folks like to specialize in just one brand, if they see a sweet item they may just HAVE to have it.

My soft spot is for Nemrod Snark III regs.
:wink:

Bob3 once bubbled...

Having the original factory box & paperwork and the reg still having talc on the hoses can quadruple the price.

Some models are harder to find than others.

Some folks like to specialize in just one brand, if they see a sweet item they may just HAVE to have it.

My soft spot is for Nemrod Snark III regs.
:wink:
I just threw a set of those in the garbage last Tueday....are you saying they were worth something?

Bob3 once bubbled...
I'll have to go garbage picking over by you, lemmie know next time they have a garage cleaning thing, eh?
I have seen Bubble Boys Garage....you cant get a car in it because it is full of dive gear. I dont even think you can get a barbeque in there. But he does have a path to the beer fridge.

Back
Top Bottom