What to get for Christmas????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

merxlin

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
OK, so the wife and I are comfortable with what we have. I can't think of anything I need for the Harley or dive gear. BC is fine, have new fins and a good mask. Reg's are only about 2 years old, and I have a Smart Com also only 2 years old. I just got back from 11 days in Hawaii, and spent a week in Roatan this year and Cayman last year, plus I can boat dive about 1 x month at Catalina. I have a camera, a good fitting/warm wetsuit, and an assortment of gloves. All in a 1 year old dive bag.

So if you had a $500 budget, what would you ask Santa for? Something that you might not spend the money on yourself, but if it was a gift you'd really enjoy? I post this here so I don't get too many BP/W suggestions (not that there is anything wrong with those :)) and I know my fellow DD's won't hate me for for being in this position. Trust me, there were years of trading pictures of gifts.

Go for a dive, and then take her out for a nice dinner :)

I'll just go with Steve, a DPV, either that sea scooter or something.

Good binoculars

Fish/ Coral/ Reef life identification books

A gift to a worthy charity "Like Hospice" in your name.

A dive alert for the BC

A good sun protection hat (spf35 runs $30 - $35 )

One's not "too many", eh? :rofl3: (Just kidding, and no, you can't borrow mine with the bright pink webbing. :biggrin:)

I'm basically just about to the "consumables" point. I need gas, and I have to replace worn out bits once in a while, but I'm pretty much happy enough with what I have that I haven't been able to rationalize any significant purchases (although I *did* just buy one more insulating suit for under my drysuit to finish the set). Anyway, if you don't need a Weezle or anything (hehe), I'm pretty much drawing a blank.

I'm spending quite a bit on the DM course we're now starting, and my most capable buddy has just about finished deciding to buy a drysuit, but other than those things (and travel), I can't think of anything *I'd* really want. If I were asking the question, my answer would probably be to do a nice springs-diving weekend and chunk the rest into a "whenever the gear bug bites" fund, since that way I could appreciate the gift *and* satisfy a gear craving when one inevitably hits me.

So,

I have a different take on this. Since you have so much to be grateful for, maybe the 2 of you should give to some that are less fortunate. Maybe go down to the Salvation Army and serve food on Xmas. Maybe you know a family that is going through the struggles you went through in your earlier years and you could somehow anonymously(or not) give to them some things that they can't afford. It can actually be fun, creative, challenging and very rewarding.
I personally like giving anonymously because that way, it is true giving since you can't be thanked by them for what you have done. :D
My wife and I have gone through our struggles in our early years together and we are now so rich with what we have together(and no, this is not $$$). But even then, I don't want to ever forget those hard years and when I find families that are less fortunate and working hard to provide for their family or each other I want to give and let them know that other people care and they are not alone in this world. It is a good feeling to help them out. And then when your done, take your wife to a movie and dinner, or a nice little nature walk. Whatever it is that you two love to do together and enjoy each other's company!

just a different perspective.

zen :zen:

A golden snorkel with some diamonds :rofl3:

O no over budget :D
So maybe a silver one with some zircon :dork2:

So,

I have a different take on this. Since you have so much to be grateful for, maybe the 2 of you should give to some that are less fortunate. Maybe go down to the Salvation Army and serve food on Xmas. Maybe you know a family that is going through the struggles you went through in your earlier years and you could somehow anonymously(or not) give to them some things that they can't afford. It can actually be fun, creative, challenging and very rewarding.
I personally like giving anonymously because that way, it is true giving since you can't be thanked by them for what you have done. :D
My wife and I have gone through our struggles in our early years together and we are now so rich with what we have together(and no, this is not $$$). But even then, I don't want to ever forget those hard years and when I find families that are less fortunate and working hard to provide for their family or each other I want to give and let them know that other people care and they are not alone in this world. It is a good feeling to help them out. And then when your done, take your wife to a movie and dinner, or a nice little nature walk. Whatever it is that you two love to do together and enjoy each other's company!

just a different perspective.

zen :zen:

And a great perspective it is. :yelclap:We actually do a lot via charities, both financially and with our time. I firmly believe in giving back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom