PVC tank racks for 6 tanks for about $20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BWDscott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
South Lake County, Florida USA (SW of Orlando)
# of dives
500 - 999
PVC tank racks for 6 tanks @ under $20

Hi all,

Here's my homemade tank rack idea. I looked at several manufactured sets at various stores and couldn't see spending the same cash to hold only 2 tanks.

Materials include:

1 20' section 1.5"PVC (irrigation) pipe.

16 1.5" PVC end caps.

1 small can of PVC pipe cement.

1 package (50') nylon rope.

1 can rubber tool handle dip.

Simple assembly:

Cut the pipe into sections about 16-18 (I use 1/2 to 2/3 the length of the tank as a rough rule) inches long. 4 pieces for a three tank rack, 3 for a two tank rack.

Drill 2 holes through each end of the cut pipes. Drill only one hole in each end of the pipes which will be used for the end pieces. Make the holes just large enough to thread the rope through (leave enough intact pipe at the end for the cap to fit).

Tie a knot in the end of the rope and feed it through the single hole of the end pipe, leaving the knot inside the pipe. Thread the rope through a hole in the next pipe, so the rope protrudes out the end of the pipe. Adjust to proper length (use a tank) and mark the rope. Pull the rope through the end of the pipe and tie a knot in it. Allow the knot to slide back into the pipe as you feed the rope out the hole on the other side of the pipe. Continue this procedure until you get to the other end pipe. Tie a knot in the end, cut the slack off, and tuck the knot into the pipe. Repeat this process for the rope at the other end of these pipes.

Glue a cap over each end of all of the pipes. Allow PVC cement to cure for about 30 minutes before the next step.

Dip each capped end of each pipe into the rubber tool handle dip. Allow to "set" for a short time before dipping again. I dipped mine 3-4 times to get a thick rubber coat covering each end cap completely.

Total time to make both sets was about 2 hours.

The finished rack looks something like this:

Compact when not in use.

No unusual materials... Lowe's, Home Depot, etc.

I built 2 sets in about 2 hours for about $20.

They don't slide around when in the back of my truck, and the tanks don't slide around in the racks.

I can carry 3 AL80s in each rack. This pic shows a AL100. I can put 2 AL100s in a rack with a AL80 or my 19cf pony between them.

I have also found that if space is limited, like the back of a smaller SUV... lay the first rack down, load with tanks, then... lay the second rack on top of those tanks and load more tanks on top of the second rack. This keeps the stacked tanks from sliding forward/backward, and keeps them from scraping each other up.

Feel free to share this with others.

I hope this works as well for you as it does for me.

They are fairly industructible.

Let me know what you think.

Scott

By the way... when you load your tanks... do you load them with the valve toward the front of the vehicle or the rear of the vehicle? Why?

Food for thought.

First off all nice work,but they are already on sale for the same price :D

Second and this is MY opinion,tanks should be loaded with the valve to the rear.
Why,in case of a serious"fenderbender"and if a valve should come of I will be protected by a heavy steel gage between me and the loading area.I case of a "normal"sedan type car the best place would be IMO,behind the front seat,valves to the middle or to the side.

BTW I drive a mini van with a heavy steel gage between the driver and the loadibg area.

First off all nice work,but they are already on sale for the same price :D

I know you can find racks that hold two tanks and three tanks for around $20.

They may be PVC, but most are foam.

I made TWO racks that hold THREE tanks EACH for around $20.:eyebrow:

Thats enough racks to hold SIX tanks.

I challenge you to find racks to hold six tanks, this durable, at this price.:crafty:

Let me know what you think.

By the way... when you load your tanks... do you load them with the valve toward the front of the vehicle or the rear of the vehicle? Why?

Very nice work, pics and report, Scott! Thank you!

You've got an excellent idea of creating anti-slip with the vinyl-coated end caps, especially for a smooth-surfaced truck bed! :)

Since you asked for feedback, I made similar tank racks, but used the more common anti-slip design of running the rope through sections of vinyl tubing between the pipes.

Not only does vinyl tubing provide a large surface area for friction, it sets a more consistent distance between the pvc pipe than a knot inside the pipe.

Also, assembly is much easier and quicker since no knots are needed inside the pipes.

However, combining vinyl tubing with your vinyl-coated end caps would be excellent, I think, especially to improve the anti-slip in pickup truck beds.

On another aspect, although weight is not an issue, I saved quite a bit using central vac pvc pipe. Besides, it was on-sale at the dump that day! :wink:

Vac pipe is strong enough, unless the rack is abused, and weighs less than half of standard pvc pipe. Regular pvc pipe can take a lot more abuse, though. :D

I've used mine in cars and suv's and occasionally in pickups. In a pickup, to protect the valves, I load with boot toward the front, since that's the most likely direction of severe force in an accident.

In case it might help, a pic of one of my racks follows. I've also got a 3-tank rack.

Dave C

Tank_rack_pvc_5-tank_SB.jpg

Looks nice!

The way I've heard it worded before is something like,

"Which way you face the valve depends if, in an accident, you want to get killed by a flying valve or a flying cylinder."

I'd advise strapping tanks down if you can. And then drive carefully. I've thought often about making magnet sign things that say "Driving Slowly=Carrying SCUBA Tanks" as I used to work at a sign shop, but never got around to it.

I challenge you to find racks to hold six tanks, this durable, at this price.:crafty:

Two "pool noodles", 5 or 6 foot long each at Dollar Store, $2 total

Spare rope lying in the garage. **FREEBIE**
I actually used a 8' length of bungee cord I had laying around. It allows some stretch to hold the tanks a little snugger against the foam

Total Cost $2 bucks.
Not having to pay $20 bucks for it at the dive shop - Priceless

ok... real total cost $1 buck, cause I only made one. But it could be doubled to hold more tanks.

This is a pic that is similar to what mine looks like (from Scubatoys page)

foamrack.jpg

BTW.... Looks like the rack you built is pretty nice and well done also from looking at your pics. Good detailed thread/post on how you made them also. Thanks.

:)

If a valve breaks off it is unlikely to propel the tank with much speed because the threaded boss with its 1/8 inch passage will remain intact.

I like to carry tanks with the valves facing to the inside of the vehicle. This allows the valve (the weakest point) some protection if there is intrusion into the cargo/ passenger compartment of my vehicle in a crash. I am assuming of course that I am struck in the rear of my vehicle. Also, in my case, the tanks are then aimed away from me (to the rear of my truck) in the event of a catastrophic failure at the valve end of the tank. My first priority in a crash is to protect myself and my passengers.

I cannot speak firsthand of SCUBA tank failures, but I have seen 2 SCBA (4500psi airpack) bottle failures. The first went through an interior wall of a home, when it was dropped and the valve broke off cleanly. It looked like a torpedo screaming (and I mean LOUD) accross the floor.

The second tank failure also occurred when it was dropped. The valve on the second tank was displaced, but not entirely removed. This made for a directional nozzle for the escaping air, causing the bottle to rise off of the ground to about chest height, and spin violently for 10-15 seconds, before dropping back to the ground.

Both of these failures were due to a drop from a low height. Less than 4 feet for each. They hit the ground just right and came apart.

These incidents have kept me keenly aware of the very real possibility of tank failures and the resulting damage that can occur.

Others may have differing thoughts... that's fine with me.

Food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom