Nautical Knots

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wjefferis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am curently working on my dive master training and have a question for any of you more experienced nautical folks, boat captains, other DM's. What are some of the more common knots that I need to learn. I figure I will go and buy a book on the subject, but I am sure it will be full of about two hundred more knots than I need to know. I didn't grow up around the water so I am playing catch-up a bit, thanks in advance for any help.

Any help on a good book on the subject would also be helpful.

I'm glad to hear you are taking it seriously and trying to learn essential skills. Some agencies don't even cover the topic. Common knots include half hitch, clove hitch, bowline and square.

Bless you my son!
Even a moderately skilled line bender is a good addition to any crew.
The most commonly used knot is probably going to be the bowline, so go ahead & start with that one. (most folks get started with the square knot, probably 'cuz it's easy)
On larger vessels it's inadvisable to use a locking hitch on a cleat; once cinched tight they can require the services of an axe to unfasten.

I am curently working on my dive master training and have a question for any of you more experienced nautical folks, boat captains, other DM's. What are some of the more common knots that I need to learn. I figure I will go and buy a book on the subject, but I am sure it will be full of about two hundred more knots than I need to know. I didn't grow up aroung the water so I am playing catch-up a bit, thanks in advance for any help.

Any help on a good book on the subject would also be helpful.

Bowline, Sheep bend, square knot, two half hitches and a clove hitch will handle most any situation. On the bowline remember that the rabbit comes out of the hole goes around the tree and back in the hole. It makes a loop that does not slip. On the SB, rabbbit comes out of the hole, goes around the trees and back under the limb. Ideal for joining two pieces of rope together of unequal diameter. These sayings will make sense once you start tying the knots. Clove hitch easily secures your horse to a hitching post and comes a loose real easy. Two half hitches will secure a lift bag and won't come loose.

And to test someone's knowledge although certainly not required the Monkey's Fist. Ask an old sailor or a seaoned leatherneck.

Excellent, thanks for getting me in the right direction. I have one more question though. What is the knot called that is used to secure the boat to the dock. I have seen people wrap the rope around the cleat like a figure eight and then make a quick twist and its done. It looks easy to tie, if you guys/gals know what i'm talking about,could you tell me what it is called? If not I quess I will just ask the captain, or DM on the next boat I am on how to tie it.

I would just go pick up any basic climbing book. My agency never covered knots, but the ones I use are the same knots I use climbing. What I have ran into is that Nautical ppl have diff names than climbers, cavers, and mountaineers. The knots otheres have listed above will probably cover your needs. Also look at some midline knots, Butterfly, inline 8 and the such. You can probably find a book on tieing knots at the library, if not for climbing... maybe one specifically for the marine enviroment, the ppl that work there always find that kinda stuff for me.:eyebrow:

hope this helps,
Clay :coffee:

What is the knot called that is used to secure the boat to the dock. I have seen people wrap the rope around the cleat like a figure eight and then make a quick twist and its done.

That's a cleat hitch. Make sure to learn this one properly, it's often done wrong.

I would add the ability to do simple end and eye splices. If you have something to attach to a line that is never suposed to be taken off, then an eye splice is the only way to go. I use them for leashes to my cameras etc. They also work well for dock lines and springs, and if you ever have to marry two line together a bowline at the eye work very well.

I have been caught bring up lines lost on wrecks and on the run back to the dock keeping myself occupied by having a beer, cutting out fraied places, splicing the line back together, etc. then giving them out to boats on the dock. It does two things, cleans up the wreck and makes good friends on the dock for a free tow back in some day and to be told of a new hang they found the other day.

You will never know how far 5 minutes of work will take you or how many people think it is hard to do.

Back
Top Bottom