Setting up photos??? (Split from right place, right time..)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bladephotog

Contributor
Reaction score
Good find...you can always make things happen as well. Just find a crab and feed it to the octopus then start snapping away. Nature photographers do this all the time.

I hate to go of topic but I have to call foul. This is so UNETHICAL I don't even know where to begin. Ethical nature photographers certainly DO NOT do this all the time. The photographer should not interfere in nature, at least not to the extent of feeding. I know it happens but it's irresponsible and should not be encouraged.

Photography is about capturing the moment not creating it. This is a great picture Bob and I'm sure you wouldn't have had the same feeling had you created it.

The joy of photography, and the art of making a great picture, is when all of the elements come together - light, composition, exposure and, in this case, behavior, ON THEIR OWN. That's what makes this image special. It's also what will make the memory of this dive special for Bob.

Photography is more than just getting the shot. It's getting the shot the ethical and responsible way.

Way to go Bob.

Good find...you can always make things happen as well. Just find a crab and feed it to the octopus then start snapping away. Nature photographers do this all the time.

Well F3Nikon if you do this practice all of the time I would not be bragging about it as WE photographers DO NOT practice this kind of behavior ....... and if you do feel that this is good practice to do this I would be interested in seeing you try to feed the lions and get the shots!!:D

Very uncool to hear of you trying such a thing!!

I hate to go of topic but I have to call foul. This is so UNETHICAL I don't even know where to begin. Ethical nature photographers certainly DO NOT do this all the time. The photographer should not interfere in nature, at least not to the extent of feeding. I know it happens but it's irresponsible and should not be encouraged.

Photography is about capturing the moment not creating it. This is a great picture Bob and I'm sure you wouldn't have had the same feeling had you created it.

The joy of photography, and the art of making a great picture, is when all of the elements come together - light, composition, exposure and, in this case, behavior, ON THEIR OWN. That's what makes this image special. It's also what will make the memory of this dive special for Bob.

Photography is more than just getting the shot. It's getting the shot the ethical and responsible way.

Way to go Bob.

Shows how much you know about U/W nature photography! Ever see a video of a group of California Garibaldi fish feeding on a busted open sea urchin?

That’s right the photographer was not going sit around waiting for the fish to grow some large teeth to punch a hole on the urchin! I mean a diver can only hold their breath for so long!

Or the one on the baby horn shark swimming into the mouth of an California Angel shark only to be spit out by the Angel shark, because it just got stabbed by the horn shark’s horn on its dorsal fin. The out takes showed another diver off camera releasing the horn shark to the area where the Angel shark is resting.

And these clips where from that liberal tree hugging Public TV show “Nature” :no

Well since I started a new thread apparently I'll respond. I said I know this happens. I'm a shipwreck shooter but that doesn't mean I don't know what happens or what is ethical. Just because something is common practice doesn't make it acceptable.

It's not about the killing, or being a liberal tree hugger. Ethical nature photography, above or below, is about not changing the behavior of animals to the extent that they become dependent on man for food or anything else.

So, yes, I do know something about UW nature photography. I do know this happens but I don't condone it and I don't think it should be encouraged. At the least it will change the behavior of the animal. At the extreme bad things can happen. Google Timothy Treadwell.

Double post

Well F3Nikon if you do this practice all of the time I would not be bragging about it as WE photographers DO NOT practice this kind of behavior ....... and if you do feel that this is good practice to do this I would be interested in seeing you try to feed the lions and get the shots!!:D

Very uncool to hear of you trying such a thing!!

I knew that comment would get the tree huggers attention! Would it be OK if I got an already dead crab from fisherman’s wharf to feed the octopus?

What about those crab legs and claw in front of you on your avatar picture…were you looking for an octopus to feed as well or is that a part of your wet suit? Because I don't see to many crabs swimming in open water like that!

And yes I would gladly take your picture as you are being fed to the lions…

Well since I started a new thread apparently I'll respond. I said I know this happens. I'm a shipwreck shooter but that doesn't mean I don't know what happens or what is ethical. Just because something is common practice doesn't make it acceptable.

It's not about the killing, or being a liberal tree hugger. Ethical nature photography, above or below, is about not changing the behavior of animals to the extent that they become dependent on man for food or anything else.

So, yes, I do know something about UW nature photography. I do know this happens but I don't condone it and I don't think it should be encouraged. At the least it will change the behavior of the animal. At the extreme bad things can happen. Google Timothy Treadwell.

For Pete's sake the octopus is fed a crab, it's natural prey...its not like they are being fed a BIG MAC! Plus how many chances does a diver get to even feed let alone see an octopus in the wild.

Would it be more than the fleets of fishing boats dumping tons of wasted sea products into the sea?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom