Digital picture frame recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ToddK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,
I searched around, but couldn't find any threads on this topic. I'm looking to buy a digital picture frame for my wife for Christmas. After having read several of the reviews on Amazon.com, it looks like most models have some warts, typically in the software...either downloading and managing images or playing them.
I'm looking for a 7-8" diagonal, something that has a nice looking frame, good image quality and viewing angle, and reasonably well designed software. Any recommendations? Thanks!!!

Sorry, I left off some information. We're PC folks, not Mac. My wife shoots with a Nikon, and her files are JPEG, about 1.5MB/image typically.

I just picked one up as a xmas gift for my brother and wife (no, they don't browse SB...).

It's the 7" Philips 7FF2FPA/05

I have to admit, I really didn't do a lot of research into them. Out here, there are number of cheaper Taiwanese/ Chinese brands, but I found the LCD resolution wasn't as good as the Philips and the colors just didn't have as much punch as the Philips. There was a nice Kodak branded one as well that had good resolution and color renditions.

Feature-wise, the Philips has 16MB of internal memory (I think) and accepts various flash cards. You can play the photos directly from the flash cards or you can transfer the jpg's to the internal memory. Menu system is pretty straight fwd. You can select which photos, show sequential or randomly, choose transition types, show clock/ calendar, and set auto on/ off. There is an option to connect a PC via USB but I didn't try this. Comes with software for the USB connection.

I just loaded up some pics of their 3mos old daughter I just took last week. Actual viewable area of the LCD is 720x480, but best to size your photos slightly bigger so the edges don't show. I gave it a test run with the photos I downloaded to it and it looks real nice. Now to wrap it up before xmas...

We picked up 2 from Costco for xmas gifts, best deal for the dollar, resolution is very high (higher than most we looked at), they support several different types of media, 256 MB of internal memory, stereo speakers, ect...the only thing is that they are 10.4" and you wanted smaller than that, but they were only $194 canadian. We plugged them in and the pics look amazing, of course we loaded them up with some pics just to get them started until they have time to load up some of their own.

EDIT for got to add it is a Memory Vue MV-1040 plus

That's what I wound up doing; after looking all over I decided to "recycle" one of the ancient laptops here. Had enough doorstops already & they have a good capacity.
Not the best for folks that are technologically challenged though.

If you have an old laptop laying around, build your own & use the software that you want. LINKY and a list of how tos for many models

Thanks all. No extra laptops laying around here, so I'll go the commercial route. Thanks for the post about Costco. I had gone there earlier, but hadn't seen any- I must have been looking in the wrong place. Thanks for the post about Phillips- I had read their reviews and Kodak.

Back
Top Bottom