Olympus 770 and Nikon D80

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RPanick

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Okay, this may sound a bit strange but bare with me. My wife and I picked up an Olympus 770 SW which is a fun camera that I don't have to worry about (water, drop, etc). After much research I bought a Nikon D80 with 18-200VR lens, which initially I will use for shooting topside as I learn the camera. I will pick up other lenses as my budget permits for underwater shooting and I figure out more about my preferences.

Eventually I would like to take one or both diving with me. From past (dismal) experiences taking pictures under water I realize that flash is pretty much a necessity for most pictures. Since the housing for the Olympus is very inexpensive and if it floods, no big deal rinse the camera off, is very appealing. The question is can I get flash units that will work with the Olympus housing and a housing for the Nikon. That way I can build into the gradually as I gain experience and technique. I assume the Olympus will trigger off a flash pulse, where the Nikon I will want to use the iTTL connections.

Yes I know I can take the Olympus under without the housing, I've read the very interesting posts on it. I may eventually carry it to take shots where a D80 in macro mode wouldn't be practical, particularly those where flash isn't necessary. Having the housing gives me something a bit easier to hang on to. Besides, having two big strobes arms and everything with the little tiny camera in the middle would look a bit funny.

My end goal is to get to using the Nikon with a housing and strobes, but it will take some time.

The Inon Z 240, Sea & Sea YS 110, and the Ikelite DS-125 can all be used by both of your cameras. A couple of lower model from these mfgs. could also be used, but I wouldn't go there seeing how you will probably use only one strobe for awhile.

I personally would get the 60mm, housing, flat port and one strobe before I spent a whole lot on other glass. That way you can go ahead and get shooting with it. The 60mm is a very versatile lens....it is sharp and focuses fast.

HTH,
Dave

Thanks, I figured Ikelite would be one place to start, nice to have a few other things to look at as well.

My gut feel was the 60 is probably the first lens I'll get for it. Macro seems to be the way I'm leaning. Besides, for some reason, everyone else sees the big things, I always seem to miss them, might be I'm spending too much time looking at the small stuff.

the 60mm shoots a litle more than macro.....

NS06Octo02.jpg

NS06Trumpet01.jpg

French%20Angel02.jpg

Dave

More info is needed about what direction you plan to go. If you want iTTL, then get the Ikelite DS51 or DS125. This assumes that you want to purchase an Ikelite housing for the D80 in the future.

If you are not as concerned with iTTL I'd suggest a Inon strobe. That is a better fit for most PnS applications. The Ikelite strobes for PnS camera's require a Digital Slave. They are bulky, and expensive, but if you get it in a kit, it's not so bad. Ikelite offers the DS51 kit for under $500.

As for lens selection, I guess it depends on where you are shooting, and what you enjoy. If small stuff is your goal, go with the 60mm macro, but as the previous examples illustrate, it's going to be for head shots, and even then, the vis better be good. If you want a more all around lens, the Sigma 17~70mm offers some macro capabilities, and can do double duty as a semi-wide lens. A zoom is a nice thing UW. There are a LOT of stories about folks who take down a macro lens, only to miss a shot in a lifetime because even the 60mm is just to tight. Remember, that is NOT a 60mm, it's a 90mm with the D80. 90mm is somewhat mild telephoto, not normal or wide.

Good shooting!

I concur on the 60mm micro lens, it's my favorite. I like my 17-70 Sigma as well for versatility.

I've shot the Inon z240's, but I think that the S&S YS110 is pretty close for a whole lot less money. I like the knobs better on it, it's much easier to use with gloves. Both are pretty much manual control, unless you spend quite a bit for a controller.

Jack

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom