Hi everyone! Seeking Advice for upcoming trip to the RED SEA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hotsxychiq

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm a fairly new diver, rescue dive certified but less than 30 dives or so. I'll be in Israel in Tel-Aviv until the 13th. After that I want to plan a dive trip liveaboard preferably in the red sea. Looking at departing from sharm. Any advice on which dive operators to go with? I was going to go with Save Money Diving -:- Scuba diving, diving holidays, diving, live-aboards, dive packages worldwide but they seemed kinda sketchy. They have advertised posting of $814 for a 7 night dive departing from sharm but when I emailed them they said it was $1204 and when I asked about the prices on the website they said it was for last year and this is the new price for 2008. Seems kinda shady and they don't answer their phone during business hours either. Any suggestions on inexpensive but still quality dive operations in egypt or other countries nearby that offer red sea liveaboards? Also just purchased a wetsuit 3mm with 5mm hooded vest. Will I need the hooded vest? I tend to get pretty cold so I thought I would but have never been diving in the red sea before. Any ideas? Also wondering if it's worth it to buy a bcd and regulator etc (all I have right now, fins, booties, wetsuit, mask and hooded vest). Most of the liveaboards say weights and tanks are included but the other equipment is not and is an extra 150-250 for the week. So I'm thinking it might be better to just invest in equipment rather than rental. Thanks so much for reading and I look forward to hearing responses!

Sincerely,
Analeah

Analeah,

I would bring a dive computer, or purchase one if you don't have one already and stay within recommended limits. You are at a level where this should be your next purchase IMO. In the accident section on the board you can read about some pretty crazy dive profiles people have done or tried while in that area of the world.

What about caesarea once in the Tel Aviv area? I always wanted to dive that and may get a chance next October.

www.caesareadiving.com

Have a great trip,

Arizona

I looked up caesarea and from what I could find the current and/or visibility may not be great in January. I was thinking that going to Eilat and diving there would work or since I want to go to Cairo maybe sharm would be the closest? I don't have a dive computer and probably won't have the money to get one. I'll definitely be sure to stay within my limits though! What do you think about 3mm wetsuit during this time of the year with/without a 5-7mm hooded vest? Or do you think it would be better to do a 5mm with the hooded vest? Thanks!

I have not dived that part of the world yet, so I can't advise RE: wetsuit. Of course it is your choice, but Caesarea is a one of kind dive. It may be worth checking out on land anyway as it is so close to Tel Aviv and a good dive may also be had. I think you may be able to find some good wrecks as well before you head south.

I would check out the thread below for more info on diving in that area in general including some wrecks and info about crossing the border with a dive operator:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/africa-middle-east/148466-anyone-dive-caesarea.html

Posters in that thread may be worth contacting.

AZ

welcome to the board, the red sea sounds like an awesome trip. Have fun!!

Welcome to the 'board!!!!
Analeah, this board will give a lot of good ideas and opinions... I for one also dig into the local forum where I plan to visit... so check .. out ScubaBoard - Red Sea
Looks like a bunch of good info there... And by the way, the Red Sea is on my "to do list" .. So enjoy it for me 'cause it will be few years 'till I get there!

Thanks so much! I will check out that section some more. I did find some info on wetsuits but didn't seem very definitive. Think I'll post in that section if I can't find more info. I need to know in the next 1-2 days if I'm going to exchange my 3mm to a 5mm. Oh and the hooded vest I have is a 4/6 so not as warm as I thought but perhaps still warm enough!?

Thanks so much! I will check out that section some more. I did find some info on wetsuits but didn't seem very definitive. Think I'll post in that section if I can't find more info. I need to know in the next 1-2 days if I'm going to exchange my 3mm to a 5mm. Oh and the hooded vest I have is a 4/6 so not as warm as I thought but perhaps still warm enough!?

January? You will suffer from cold if you bring along a 3mm suit. Don't gamble on diving in Tel Aviv or Caesarea or anywhere in the Mediterranean on January- sea conditions may be not so good during the winter's peak. However, if the sea is calm you'll have great vis but not much to see in comparison to Red Sea. Water temp will be somewhere around 15-17 degrees.

For Eilat and Sharm in January, I'd bring a full 5mm suit, and whatever else you may have: hooded vest, gloves, socks, some warm clothing for windy time on surface etc.

Don't be deceived by the area being a desert- it gets cold at night, and during the day it is always with strong winds and it is cold when you are wet! Water temps will be about 20 degress.

You will enjoy diving in Eilat, but you'll probably enjoy more diving in Dahab or Sharm. Eilat may be easier to get around, though, and then get a bus from Taba to Cairo. On the other side, it won't be easy to team with a buddy in Eilat on January. During the winter Eilat is not so packed with divers as one may think...

January? You will suffer from cold if you bring along a 3mm suit.

For Eilat and Sharm in January, I'd bring a full 5mm suit, and whatever else you may have: hooded vest, gloves, socks, some warm clothing for windy time on surface etc.

Agreed !!! bring as much as you can :D you will need :coffee: as it is windy

I Would choose Eilat for dives with your experiance as the dives are easy, from shore, facilities are good, not expansive etc.

Based on the last 5 days, the city is full with divers as well as the clubs and the water :10:, Vis. is one of the best I saw in the last years, water Temp at 35M depth was 23C . Dahab could be a good option as well but think again about liveaboard with your experiance, any way an operator I can trust is :http://www.seaqueen.co.il/index.php?lang=2.

Have fun :popcorn:

Cool thanks I will definitely check that operator out. I'm going to exchange my wetsuit for a 7mm since I am generally more cold than the average person in general. Unless you think that is a bad idea? Also the store doesn't have a 5mm in stock but 7mm are in stock so unless it would be bad I think I'll go ahead and get the 7mm. Do you think a hooded vest is necessary as well or will I be okay with a 7mm by itself? Also wondering if I need gloves for that time of year as well (Mid january). I'm thinking about going on the brothers route based on talking with some dive operators who say that is one of the best routes. However I don't know if this is true or they just want to sell the package? I'm sure it's good just not sure if it would be BETTER than the sinai classic route or south route etc. Also wondering if anyone can recommend a good route for a mini safari? Thanks so much!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom