Help URGENT housing issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaybombs25

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi I just brought my brand new A640 on its first dive today. However, the housing has a LEAK somewhere, on the first dive there were a few drops of water in the housing. After the second ( after i cleaned and regreased the o ring) there was less but still water in there. The camera itself is fine and has taken some truly magnificent shots. What should I do with the housing? What "Quick" fixes may I be able to try to help this if it might just be a simple problem? Also would it be covered under warranty?

Thanks

Test it in a bucket or tub of water without the camera inside. Submerse it and check for any bubbles. If you see bubbles, you've found your leak :wink: If you don't see bubbles, individually go through each button - press, look, press repeat a few times - and dials to see if you can locate the problem.

You may also be getting condensation in the housing - I've seen this look like there was a serious leak. Dessicant packs are extremely helpful and adding one or two may solve the problem.

I have no idea if it is covered under warranty - I would expect not unless it is a clear flaw in the manufacturing.

in the bucket it seems fine. There is condensation, however i tasted the water and indeed it is salt water which is not a good sign. I haven't checked all the buttons and will in fact do that in a while. That is the ONLY problem I figure it may be because the housing looks to be in perfect shape. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

If you carefully pack your housing with paper towels and seal it carefully (making sure nothing gets caught in the o-rings), then take it on a dive, you should be able to narrow down the location of the leak by checking the paper towels afterwards.

Spray the inside (w/o camera) with spray talc powder. Put it in a bucket. Even the smallest leak will appear.

Don't worry, the talc cleans out very easy.

I would just send it back. Tracing down an elusive leak like this one seems to be too much trouble if the case is still under warranty. Even if you do find the leak, it is likely an o-ring or a an issue with one of the controls. You don't mention what housing you have, but if it's the Canon proprietary housing, you won't be able to obtain spare parts for it and will have to send it in anyway. Good luck!

Why can't you get spare parts? I just rang Canon to order what I've needed in the past - they send me a diagram and I pick the parts from that. Some are so fiddly I wouldn't bother with, but they are available...at least here in Australia!

You might want to ring Canon and ask them directly about warranty and sending it back. Leaks are often "grey" areas that some manufacturer's don't like to deal with, though Canon has seemingly been very good about this stuff (I have no first hand knowledge as all of my Canon housings have worked just fine as have all of my crew's - total 17 Canon housings so far!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom